Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback - Dash & dome lights how do I fix?

I don't usually drive at night, so this may have been going on for quite some time - tonight, the only lighted areas of my dashboard were the odometer and clock areas. Also, when I opened the door the dome light did not go on. The dome light would go on when I toggled the switch, but if I recall the light used to go on when I opened the door...

I would like to get the interior lights working. Especially the gas gauge and speedometer. It would be nice to have the heat/AC control lights working as well in case I need heat or AC while driving in the dark. The door open/dome light on feature would be nice in my building's garage as well.

I'm fairly handy, if I can find instructions and specs for the parts/materials I will need, and fairly tenacious about projects I start. Can someone please point me in the right direction to learn what I need to learn to fix these lighting issues?

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by vkellogg

I assume you have checked your dimmer control position already. Ckeck the fuses also for a blown one. if those things are okay then there may be a problem with the light control module under the dash that controls the dash lights.

For the dome light trouble, does the switch on the light have three positions? If so, make sure it is in the correct position. One position leaves the light off when the doors open.