Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 legacy overheat problem

well....ive got a 1990 legacy 2.2 fi.......with a problem.......i rebuilt heads( they had to weld due to some pretty bad electrolosis)......installed by the book......new radiator as old was clogged, new hoses, new 170 thermostat......new 13 lb cap......flushed etc......water jackets clear, & water pump appears to work.......i live @ 5700+ ft, drive it for about 15 @ 60mph, then find coolant down about 1 1/2" in rad, it never drops lower than that. when i slow down from 60 temp goes up to just under overheat........rev motor it cools down, if i drive in 2nd for a bit it cools down to normal. if i take car to sea level or so......it runs fine doesn't lose water or overheat.........does anyone have any ideas? 18 lb rad cap? help!!! thanx in advance dan

Are you saying that you find the radiator 1.5" low, refill it and find it low again?

It does'nt do this at sea level only mile high?

What's happening in your coolant overflow tank? Level goes up when hot? Goes down when cool? Any oil or bubbles?

You may be blowing hot coolant into the overflow tank and not sucking it back into the radiator when it cools.

yep no oil or bubbles.....iv'e double checked evrything....coolant is getting sucked right back.....really weird.....never had a prob like this in the 30 or so older cars iv'e owned over the years.....gonna recheck the lower hose.....but......not drips either...... thanx, dan pearson

A friend with a 90 Legacy blew hig HG's and he also rebuilt the heads.

He said when he reinstalled them, he had to keep after the coolant and had bubbles simply because there was so much air in the coolant passages in the heads from taking them off. It takes time to refill them...

• 2 weeks later...

well i finally got my 1990 legacy cooled down........installed new radiator (it looked like it had been hit with birdshot), backflushed again got some chunks of what looked like last owners block sealer, hoses, temp sensor, and thermostat. the thermostat made the difference. Its been about 28-30 up here @ 5600+ & she runs great. oh yeh when i got the new thermo i drilled a small hole in it per local subaru mechanic. this really helped to clear the air bubbles in block too.