Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

installing remote entry - hard or easy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,912 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

How hard would it be to install my 98 OBW remote entry (Subaru installed system) into my 1996 Legacy LSi?

Reading through here it seems like a rather complicated.

Including the fact that it might not even be possible without the actuator which is remote-entry specific on the drivers side.

Anyone have experience doing this?

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,859 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

I think it would be easier to install an after market system. Unless you're looking for a challenge? :lol:

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,912 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

I think it would be easier to install an after market system. Unless you're looking for a challenge? :lol:

sometimes i am, but not for this. i'm going to pass, unless someone that's done it pipes up with good feedback and suggestions.

#4 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

I would characterize the Subaru branded, dealer installed keyless entry our '98 OBW came with as essentially the same as an aftermarket unit. It doesn't plug into any ready-made place on the wiring harness; it's attached with vampire taps (scotchlok) connectors. Ours was intermittent, and I couldn't get any documentation for it so I just tore it out and installed an aftermarket unit.

If you just want keyless entry, all you need is:

+12V constant power
+12 (switched)
ground
Lock line
unlock line.

You can leave off all the "extra" stuff: you don't _need_ the horn, parking lights, dome lights, trunk release wires etc. The most difficult part for me was programming the new keyless entry.

I'm installing keyless entry in a Bonneville today, so we'll see if it's as simple as it was on the Subie!

Nathan

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,912 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

thanks a lot nathan - yeah all i want is remote entry, so sounds like aftermarket might be the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users