Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2001 Legacy: Running Sluggish, Tranny Also Not Feeling Right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SF

SF

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

I have this car roughly 3 weeks. Car ran very badly and Knock sensor was replaced. Also changed fuel and air filters. Car ran great. Replaced PCV valve but even though it was plugged Solid I felt no difference in performance. Yesterday I replaced the transmission filter and added 2 quarts of Dexron 3 to fill tranny to correct level.
Today a CEL came on and it is probably the same code as last week: Catalyst. I noted that there was quite a bit of CV Joint grease on the cat. Can this cause a CEL?
Also I found a broken vacuum hose that goes to some gizmo on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It appears to actuate a diaphragm. After putting the hose back on the power steering now feels Fantastic but the engine remains sluggish. It does not run as badly as it did with the faulty knock sensor.

I know I gotta pull the code but can anyone suggest what else I should check?
This "gizmo" isn't the EGR correct? Never worked o a Subaru and have no manual so I have been winging it.
ANY Suggestions as to what other troubleshooting should be done is greatly appreciated.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

If the hose you are talking about is on the back side of the intake down off the fuel lines, its the fuel pressure regulator.

You should have a vaccum line diagram on the hood. Check it out.

Yes, the codes are necessary, any good auto parts store will read them for free.

Plugs, Plug Wires, Subaru or NGK only!

Check the coolant overflow tank for signs of oil = Head Gasket leak.

Remember the search feature of the USMB, you will find lots of good info.

#3 SF

SF

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Why would the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose cause such a drop in the power steering operation? Also how can I troubleshoot the fuel pressure regulator to be certain it is functioning properly?

Thanks

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

You need a good fuel pressure gauge to make sure its working correctly and the pump is putting out the required fuel pressure.

The PS pump is a load on the engine. You may also want to check the belt tension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users