Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Legacy: Running Sluggish, Tranny Also Not Feeling Right

I have this car roughly 3 weeks. Car ran very badly and Knock sensor was replaced. Also changed fuel and air filters. Car ran great. Replaced PCV valve but even though it was plugged Solid I felt no difference in performance. Yesterday I replaced the transmission filter and added 2 quarts of Dexron 3 to fill tranny to correct level.

Today a CEL came on and it is probably the same code as last week: Catalyst. I noted that there was quite a bit of CV Joint grease on the cat. Can this cause a CEL?

Also I found a broken vacuum hose that goes to some gizmo on the passenger side of the intake manifold. It appears to actuate a diaphragm. After putting the hose back on the power steering now feels Fantastic but the engine remains sluggish. It does not run as badly as it did with the faulty knock sensor.

I know I gotta pull the code but can anyone suggest what else I should check?

This "gizmo" isn't the EGR correct? Never worked o a Subaru and have no manual so I have been winging it.

ANY Suggestions as to what other troubleshooting should be done is greatly appreciated.

If the hose you are talking about is on the back side of the intake down off the fuel lines, its the fuel pressure regulator.

You should have a vaccum line diagram on the hood. Check it out.

Yes, the codes are necessary, any good auto parts store will read them for free.

Plugs, Plug Wires, Subaru or NGK only!

Check the coolant overflow tank for signs of oil = Head Gasket leak.

Remember the search feature of the USMB, you will find lots of good info.

Thanks for the reply.

Why would the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose cause such a drop in the power steering operation? Also how can I troubleshoot the fuel pressure regulator to be certain it is functioning properly?

Thanks