Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is it?

While changing the struts, changing the xmission fluid and generally cleaning my brat, I found a broken thing. It is a flexible connection that looks like it runs from the top of the transmission to another cross bar that goes from the firewall to the engine. Mine seems to be broken just below the engne-firewall cross bar. What is it? What does it do? Should I be looking for a replacement? I'll try to post pix sometime in the next couple days.

Gen 1 Brats here only came with 4 speeds.

I know what part you are talking about, it attaches to the pitch stopper bar with a nut and it looked like a cable, and it attaches to the tranny with a little bracket and a rubber bushing. I have no clue what the intent of it was when designed, other than *maybe* to take stress off the weak transmission mount design. I know that some early 78's did not come with it, they just had the pitch stopper bar. As long as you have good tranny mounts you are fine with taking it off, but I might have an extra laying around if you want to fix it

-Bill

Gen 1 Brats here only came with 4 speeds.

I know what part you are talking about, it attaches to the pitch stopper bar with a nut and it looked like a cable, and it attaches to the tranny with a little bracket and a rubber bushing. I have no clue what the intent of it was when designed, other than *maybe* to take stress off the weak transmission mount design. I know that some early 78's did not come with it, they just had the pitch stopper bar. As long as you have good tranny mounts you are fine with taking it off, but I might have an extra laying around if you want to fix it

-Bill

hmm. Good to know. You guys are awesome. Would the absence/broken-ness of this pitch stopper cause or contribute to bucking/shuddering when starting off in 1st gear?

hmm. Good to know. You guys are awesome. Would the absence/broken-ness of this pitch stopper cause or contribute to bucking/shuddering when starting off in 1st gear?

Pitch stopper keeps the engine and tranny from "pitching" forward so yes without it could be causing that problem or adding to it at least. Generally shuddering under load is a DOJ issue but without the pitch stopper it could be doing it also. I would replace it and see where your at then. If that doesnt solve it start hunting down other problems.

Does the shudder go away when you let off the gas?

Pitch stopper keeps the engine and tranny from "pitching" forward so yes without it could be causing that problem or adding to it at least. Generally shuddering under load is a DOJ issue but without the pitch stopper it could be doing it also. I would replace it and see where your at then. If that doesnt solve it start hunting down other problems.

Does the shudder go away when you let off the gas?

I'm trying to think if the shudder goes away when I let off the gas. I am typically trying to accelerate from a stop, so I don't really take my foot off the gas. I find that if I can stay rolling slightly, bump into first, then take off, I don't get any shudder. It doesn't do it much in reverse. My first instinct was that it may be a warped clutch plate, but now I'm not so sure.

What is a DOJ issue?

DOJ= inner joint of the axles that is closest to the trans (double offset joint). When they start to go bad they can shake the car under load. They can be as little as vibrating your shifter to shaking the whole damn car. Depends how bad they are. They will only do that under load however so if you let off and your vibration goes away chances are you found your culprit. What i would do still is replace that pitch stopper and see where you stand. If you still have the vibration then start looking at possible bad DOJs.

• 2 months later...

This is a super old thread now, but I'm going to resurrect it, since I now have pictures!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7502&stc=1&d=1269126886

I replaced this with a stretch of cable (ultimate backyard mechanicing!), but didn't get it very tight. It may or may not hold or stay there. We'll see. I am going to try to find a replacement.

I had a friend of mine look at my engine, and watch while I started in 1st gear. He said that it looked like my pitch stopper was loose. I replaced the rubber with some custom rubber made out of stoppers, and tightened everything down. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but the pitch stopper is definitely tighter than it was. Hopefully this helps. If not, I'll look more into the DOJ.

post-32109-136027639854_thumb.jpg