Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual transmission will not disengage 2002 Legacy Outback 2.5

Great board!

I have a 2002 2.5L, 5 speed manual shift legacy outback with just over 200,000 miles. On Friday evening, I started the car (air temp in the 20s). As it was idling I increased the RPMs a little to get the heat blowing warm air. The car was parked and in neutral and all of the sudden it jumped forward a little and the engin died. I pressed the clutch in and restarted the engine. As soon as I let the clutch out, there was a strain on the engine, the car pulled forward and the engine died again. I could start to smell what I though was burnt clutch. With the car in neutral and the clutch let out, the car would not roll. Push the clutch in, car rolls. If I start the car and bring the RPMs up while releasing the clutch, the car will crawl forward.

I had it flatbeded home. Yesterday (Sunday) I started it up again, let the clutch out and same thing. I wanted to roll the car forward a little so I brought the RPMs up and started to let the clutch out while it was in neutral and it started to roll and then stopped moving and it felt like something disengaged. Now all is good, I am able to shift in the gear, 1st and reverse, no problems. I have not actually road tested the car as my driveway is steep and I don’t want to get stuck at the bottom.

I do notice that the engine does have a slight load on it when I release the clutch while the car is in neutral. The RPMs come up just a bit, but I would think that is normal as the engin still has to spin one of the gear shafts in the trany.

The last clutch change was about 60K ago. Any ideas? I am not a transmission guy, but I am thinking that perhaps a syncro is not disengaging. I am considering dropping the transmission over the weekend and trying to diagnose it.

Thanks

Jamie