Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81, ea82, ea71 etc. Model/YR??

Could someone help me get my head straight on this??

I keep getting lost while searching for tranny swaps. I'm beginning to understand the tranny designations and know where the EJ engines come from (I think).

I have a Gen1 Brat with a 1.6L 4 spd which selectable 2 or 4WD.

I'm making notes and checking them twice and sometimes I think I'm getting IT.

Steve

Im not sure i understand your question. What is it that your having trouble understanding? What each engine code represents?

EA71= 1.6 liter (over head valve)

EA81= 1.8 liter (over head valve)

EA82= 1.8 liter (over head cams)

Those are also put into order of when they were produced. The EA71 came before the EA81 and so on. This is not to say that all three motors were not offered during the same model year. Take 85 for example. 85 was the first year of the EA82 but you could still get the EA81 in the brat or the hatch or the EA71 in a low option hatch (std=standard).

Edited by hatchsub

Im not sure i understand your question. What is it that your having trouble understanding?

That helps and to answer your question; I need to have an idea of which year and model cars to look in for a tranny for my EJ22 swap into my Gen1 Brat.

My EJ22 came from a early 90s Legacy 2WD AT so that tranny was of no use to me. Now I'm looking at the prospect of going with a Legacy MT tranny and just realize that limits me to AWD 5spd MT. However, I "Now" understand the EJ22 was in the Impreza as well..

Here is another question: does FWD stand for "front wheel drive" or Four wheel drive?? The Impreza chart shows this as being offered in 93-94.

Are there additional transmission option in the Impreza? or any other models.

I know the most popular tranny of this swap is from the older car models and require an adaptor plate. However, I get the impression, most a looking for off-road performance, while I'm after street and highway economy and reliability.

Steve

That helps and to answer your question; I need to have an idea of which year and model cars to look in for a tranny for my EJ22 swap into my Gen1 Brat.

My EJ22 came from a early 90s Legacy 2WD AT so that tranny was of no use to me. Now I'm looking at the prospect of going with a Legacy MT tranny and just realize that limits me to AWD 5spd MT. However, I "Now" understand the EJ22 was in the Impreza as well..

Here is another question: does FWD stand for "front wheel drive" or Four wheel drive?? The Impreza chart shows this as being offered in 93-94.

Are there additional transmission option in the Impreza? or any other models.

I know the most popular tranny of this swap is from the older car models and require an adaptor plate. However, I get the impression, most a looking for off-road performance, while I'm after street and highway economy and reliability.

Steve

Ok your questions make post more questions lol. What year brat do you have and do you know if it has a top mount or side mount starter? If it has a top mount starter then yes you will need another transmission. If it has a side mount starter however you will be able to use it with an adaptor plate. If its side mount the starter will be towards the drivers side of the transmission. If its top mount it will be directly in the middle.

FWD stands for Front wheel drive like you thought. If we talk about four wheel drive on this board its usually 4wd. Imprezas were offered with front wheel drive all the way up until 95 in fact.

As for your brat now you have 4wd so why not keep that layout? Most people choose to do a EA82 5 speed with dual range 4wd because it is a reliable transmission and it will get you the fuel economy you desire because you can put it in 2wd or 4wd. EA81 4 speeds are also an option but are not as good of a transmission. Their linkage is a inferior design and 3rd gear on most of them is done by this point. Of course you could do AWD manual transmission out of a legacy or a Impreza but gas mileage will suffer and you would have to check gear ratios in your differential to make sure they are compatible (assume not).

My Brat is a 79 and has the starter on top. The tranny is pretty well shot and will have to be replaced.

Until recently, I was thinking the EJ22 was just a Lagacy 2.2L, fuel injected. However, I'm now becoming aware that the EJ22 was in other models, like the Impreza.

I'm now becoming aware that the choice of transmitions is very limited for the EJ22. AWD of FWD or the automatic(s).

I'm now more convinced that I will go with an EA82 in some form since the Lagacy/impreza doesn't sound like an economic daily driver choice.

I'm back to the "bone yard" today with a bit more knowledge and appreciate all the help.

Steve