Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 instead of EJ22... Help?

Mr. Brat

So im kinda pissed off. Bought a motor from guy that said it was a 2.2l. Well come to find out after dismantling it to the block, I find the block is stamped EJ18. I have all the harness and the motor it totally complete. Still has the cross hashes in the cylinder walls.

Question being, What is the differance between the 1.8 and the 2.2? I know there is a big power differance but how much? And also, will it directly bolt up to the 5 spd d/r trans (not need to redrill the flywheel and need an adaptor plate)? And is the same harness used for the 1.8 and the 2.2 if I still wanted to put a 2.2 in it later?

Haven't seen a forum on here about this swap, so im kinda up in the air.

Edited by Mr. Brat

So the more and more I look into this motor. I find that it looks as if my intake manifold is for a 2.2 and I have a 1 piece timing belt, while the 1.8 has a 2 piece belt. Also find that with the instuctions of removing the timing belt, in the 2.2 instructions it tells you to put the belt tensioner in the vise to compress it and put a pin in it. That is what I had to do. Not the turn the tensioner pulls up like the 1.8. I am so confused.

There are multiple series of 1.8l engines, EA81's Ea82's, and EJ18's. You have an EJ18, they are the same EJ series as the EJ16's, EJ20's, EJ22's and EJ25's. You can swap any EJ for any other EJ, however the EJ18's don't usually have a knock sensor.

The casting on the block under the alternator is the easy way to ID the motor when you go and buy it.

Yeah this one is casted as an EJ18. But its the other stuff that throws me off. All the pictures and the online repair manuals all point to it being a 2.2 (with the coil pack on the plenum, 1 piece t-belt, hydrolic tensioner). But if it is a 1.8 could it be a EJ18 block bored to a 2.2? About the knock sensor... if upgraded to a 2.2? Would that have to be retrofitted into the ECU?

ej18's will share dimensions with the first gen ej22. Intakes are more or less the same, exhaust fits the same. you could put an 2.2 in place of the 1.8 using the 1.8 intake on the 2.2 motor. if the motor has a flywheel it will most likely be a FWD 5spd

you can put 2.2 heads on it to change the compression

i'm not sure what you're asking, you have an EJ18 motor, what exactly is your question?

the EJ18 is nearly identical to the EJ22. same block, heads and cams and intakes are all interchangeable, internals are probably all the same, etc. same motor just bored out a little bigger. same timing belts, timing gear, coil pack, spark plugs, etc.....

the Ej22 went through a few changes over the years since it was available longer so be careful how you ask and what you ask...some questions will have different answers depending what you're trying to do and what year EJ22's you're talking about.

the OLDER 1.8 liter EA82's are also 1.8 liter motors but are completely different, not similar in anyway (except the PCV valve :lol:). those are the ones with 2 timing belts.

I used an EJ18 instead of an EJ22 for my swap into my 84 GL. My harness, ECU, and intake are all from a EJ22.....it all works toghether just the same as a 2.2 longblock would.

Don't be confused, this isn't the older 2 belt motor.

The EJ18 is essentially identical to the EJ22 except for piston size. Flywheel and Adapter plate will be needed to bolt to the 5 spd D/R.

Go ahead and do the swap. Once the wiring is all done, you will be able to drop a 2.2 in there bolt your intake to it.

FWIW, IMO, the EJ18 has plenty of power for a light old gen.

Thanks for all the info. I was about to blow a head gasket. :eek: Sounds like I am just going to go ahead with the 1.8 for now. If in not mistakin if the 1.8 doesn't have enough power for me. I can put 2.2 heads on it to lower the compression and then tubro it right? What about the 2.2 with the knock sensor? If I did the 2.2 swap would I need the ECU or would the 1.8 ECU work? Sorry but I just want all my ducks in a row. :banghead:

In general the ECU shouldn't matter you'll just be bolting the intake manifold to an EJ18 or EJ22 - computer won't matter. Once the intake and wiring is all set up - you're done. You can bolt whatever EJ18 or Ej22 long block to it you want (within certain year ranges and parameters).

EJ18 and EJ22 can handle light boost very well, so no need to even swap anything if you do it right. But yes you can swap heads across EJ vehicles.

Gary- I wouldn't run more than 10 psi or so, well thats if im not hapy with the motor. I think im going to poslish the intake and the exhuast ports to try and get a little more torque out of it. Think that would make enough differance verse the the time invested? The heads are already off and sitting on the bench.

if you are putting the EJ18 in a BRAT there is more then enough power. i was getting 4 wheel spinouts on 28 inch tires in 4 wheel low.

In terms of ECUs, the EJ18 will run the EJ22 w/o any problems. If you end up with an EJ22 ECU, you can bolt the knock sensor onto the shortblock.

The time spent doing a port and polish on the EJ18 is probably not worth it. You are starting w/a 119 hp motor. If you eventually got an EJ22 you would be looking at 140 hp. I would do the swap, then get yourself an EJ22 and port and polish it.

Also if you are not in a hurry I have a set of EJ22T heads I could sell you. Not sure of what that will do to the compression ratio, but I am sure it would lower it more than a standard EJ22 head. It also have the tubing for the water and oil already there. Send me a PM if you are interested in that.

BW