Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

squeaking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 danz75

danz75

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Everett

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:11 PM

I was wondering if someone knows how to solve this. I have a 92 Legacy with 110k mi 2.2. Usually in the morning and esp if it's really cold out, there seems to be a squeaking sound coming from the left wheel when the car starts moving off. Sound is more pronounced when it's really cold. If there's been a lot of snow/slush and cold out, it does the same thing whenever it turns left. Sound is not heard at high speeds.
I've looked at the rotors and the pads and it looks fine. The sound doesn't sound anything from usual sounds brakes make. I'm guessing maybe the hub assembly or the bearings are starting to wear out.. but why does it only happen when it's cold and when I'm turning left?

danz75

#2 mranlet

mranlet

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Tampa, FL

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:11 AM

Could be that it is a good condition pad but the wrong one or poorly installed. Could also be the hub too, and the cold could make any metal contract a tiny tiny bit and accentuate any flaws allready present.

Does it change under braking or when you're in reverse?

-MR

#3 danz75

danz75

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Everett

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:57 AM

It usually happens under the 2 conditions.
1. cold
2. wet

usually more pronounced when it's wet. And the sound can only be heard as you're moving off from standstill. But after driving awhile, the sound doesn't come back (unless its a wet and cold day)

I've never heard it during braking. Reverse does it too if it's in the morning under the given conditions. Do you think water has gotten into the bearings?

#4 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:51 AM

I was kinda thinking bearings, but usually bearing noise (in my experience, anyway) was never very dependant on moisture or temperature. I'd check the brakes first, I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users