Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTF is code 7?!

I rebuilt the ea82 in a 1990 loyale and I've just about got it running but there are still some lingering problems.

The ECU light is flashing a code 7 which, as far as I can tell, is nonsense as the lowest code possible is an 11. I've been playing with all combinations of the test mode and read memory connectors but it insists on flashing a 7. Now, this is seven short flashes and nothing else, so I'm pretty sure I'm not just retarded (er, mentally handicapped, that is). Any explanations? Are computers known to give nonsense codes if they are damaged?

Some info that may or may not be relevant....

1. When I run the engine with the test mode on (to adjust timing), it seems to run ok. It also seems to produce a ton of exhaust though, especially when I move the dizzy to get to the 20B timing that my Chilton calls for. I only have the exhaust headers attached right now so I don't know if the rest of the exhaust piping will have any effect on this. It's not nasty blue smoke like I'm burning oil, or sweet white smoke like burning coolant...just tons o' exhaust that makes my garage inhabitable within 30 seconds.

2. Also, while the engine runs ok in test mode, it idles rough once I disconnect the test mode wires. I'm assuming this means the computer is trying to adjust for something and is itself causing the rough idle. (I also assume this is where my mystery code comes in.)

3. I shorted the TBI wire loom early on, but there has been no apparent damage as a result. But then again, I've been having trouble with the fuel pump which I suspect may be computer related. Point being, it is possible that I fried that computer.

Code 7 is one of the specification codes which your computer puts out to let you know what specs the computer conforms to. Your code is for A/T vehicles sold to 49 state and Canada specs.

Unfortunately, that still leaves your driveability issue. My suggestion is to read the factory service manual - my favorite Subie link!

http://www.finleyweb.net/docs/SubaruEA82-ServiceManualPart1.pdf

and part 2:

http://www.finleyweb.net/docs/SubaruEA82-ServiceManualPart2.pdf