Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear Shifter Light Bulb Replacement?

We have a 97 OBW. I am assuming the gear shifter selector is illuminated at night so one can see if they are in drive, reverse, etc. Are there bulb(s) in the gear shift selector like in the HVAC slider switch? If so, how do you get at them and what is the part number replacement? Thank you for the help :)

We have a 97 OBW. I am assuming the gear shifter selector is illuminated at night so one can see if they are in drive, reverse, etc. Are there bulb(s) in the gear shift selector like in the HVAC slider switch? If so, how do you get at them and what is the part number replacement? Thank you for the help :)
If it's anything like my 95 SVX and 91 Legacy, it's a rather large bulb. I just started unscrewing the middle panel around the shifter until I could pry it up enough to pull out the bulb. Just go to Radioshack and buy the same bulb; 12 volts. Both were on the driver's side of that middle piece of plastic. There may be some screws in the bottom of the box between the seats.

Thank you Manarius and Subikid90 for sharing your insight and knowledge to help me shed light on shift direction for our OBW for night time drives. I can't wait to solve this one. :)
I'd say that once I started taking things apart, I had everything back together after an hour of tinkering and looking around. It really isn't all that complicated; just don't lose any of the screws!

It might be easier if you remove the driver's seat as well. On that car, it's probably only 4 big bolts.

I replaced the 194 with a pair of LEDs that I soldered in. In the end it wasn't that much of an improvement. Easy to get in there once you start taking the top cover around the e-brake off with the console open. A couple of screws on the gear shift and around the selector box and you're there!

• 2 months later...

Ok--

Wanted to update. Got my gear selector light bulb changed in my 97 OBW. Note, the bulb I used equired a typical side marker light bulb, WAGNER Part # 158. I paid 90 cents at my local NAPA for it. I had to be REAL gentle to get it out its socket using the smallest pick I had in my tool cart. Thanks for the input.