Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

center diff?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Suba9792

Suba9792

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Sandy,OR

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

So does my 97 lego 2.2 have a center diff?? I know its a funny question, but I though they only have a front and rear diff. Its a 5MT, I'm getting ready to change out the trans soon, I was up on mt.hood today, and noticed some slippage as if the system is not operating properly, along with all the gear noise(hence the replacement:lol:)

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Yes, you have a center diff in your 5MT transmission. It's a viscous type in the rear third of your gearbox. It wouldn't show up as slippage while driving since it's only function is to allow you to travel around corners without the inside wheels and outside wheels binding up. Typical symptom for a bad center diff is "lockup" going around corners in either direction.

Edited by edrach, 27 December 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,745 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Slippage? Sounds like a bad clutch. The center diff doesn't slip. I mean, it does, but not the way I think you're probably thinking. :lol:

Might have just been wheel slip. The front and rear diffs are open so if one wheel loses traction (e.g. comes of the ground) it will just fly, and the other side will sit still. The beauty of the center diff on these is that it keeps power going to both front and rear diffs regardless of traction on the front or rear axles. If you get two wheels off the ground, one from each axle, you're SOL. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users