Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1993 Loyale engine swap?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bennyboyer

bennyboyer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:02 AM

Does anyone know if you can put an older 1.8L carbureted engine into a 1993 Loyale with the 1.8L, if you swap over the fuel injection intake?

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

Are you talking about swapping over the longblock (block and heads) and installing your current intake onto the carb longblock? If so, then any of the non-mpfi EA82s will work. Might be some issue with EGR, but can't remember at the moment.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,569 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

it bolts right in. long block is the same, but you will have a lower compression with a carb long block.

eliminate the egr on the carb block and plug the holes on the side of the exhaust port. Use the spfi egr and it's pipe where it screws to the top of the head. The egr ports on the side of the heads exhaust ports is what North Wet is referring to about the egr being different

#4 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

define: "older 1.8l carbureted"

You mean, early EA82? or EA81? both are possible, but a fairly different project.

#5 bennyboyer

bennyboyer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

It's a 1983 1.8L. But I just pulled my engine out and tore it apart and as I suspected it's the main bearings. I think I might just rebuild it. Decent junk yard engines are hard to find around here. Thanks for your responses.

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

'83 would be an EA81. Fairly different design (good thing though). the Ea81 doesn't have timing belts. it's pushrod, OHV, with a single gear-driven cam in the center. Much simpler, which makes it typically more reliable.

It is definitely possible to swap the intake manifold and sensors over from your EA82 to have a Fuel-injected EA81 in your loyale.

General_Disorder did an EXCELLENT write-up about putting Ea82 SPFI control system into an EA81 car. it can be found here:
http://home.comcast..../EA81_SPFI.html

Now, keep in mind, the vast majority of that writeup talks about putting the ECU and wiring from an EA82 into an EA81 body car, which is not applicable in your case. You pretty much just need to check out the sections on the intake manifold and distributor modifications, which aren't too difficult.

#7 bennyboyer

bennyboyer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thanks again for the information. It has been very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users