Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much lift do you gain by using outback Struts?

Tony2toes

Im doing my struts and I noticed alot of people seem to change to the outback struts for a bit more clearance, they cost pretty much the same as the regular Legacy struts too.

If I were to use all outback struts on my '95 Legacy LS wagon than how much ride height would I gain? and do they bolt right in?

Would I need the outback springs as well?:-\ I was planning on using my stocker springs.

I drive the car everyday so I dont want it rediculously high but I bottom out alot where I live.

I havent been able to find a straightforward answer on this yet anywhere yet via searching.

That sounds like a pretty good number, I think i read while poking around that with the springs your looking at 2-2.5 inches. So your positive I can use my stock springs and the struts will bolt right in? This seems like a pretty useful and easy upgrade:D

Ok another question, I need to know what years will fit, My car is a '95 Legacy LS, I found these on Ebay dirt cheap,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-Subaru-Outback-SHOCKS-STRUTS-Full-Set-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aOutbackQQhashZitem4cf453017cQQitemZ330516595068QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I dont know which years are compatible so Im not sure, would struts from a '00 fit a '95?

Any help would be appreciated 45 times over, I cant seem to find a guide on this anywhere

Ok another question, I need to know what years will fit, My car is a '95 Legacy LS, I found these on Ebay dirt cheap,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-Subaru-Outback-SHOCKS-STRUTS-Full-Set-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aOutbackQQhashZitem4cf453017cQQitemZ330516595068QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I dont know which years are compatible so Im not sure, would struts from a '00 fit a '95?

Any help would be appreciated 45 times over, I cant seem to find a guide on this anywhere

Springs are the same 95-99 brighton through outback. The height is all in the strut. When you swap a non-outback to outback struts, you have more ground clearance than the outbacks because you don't have the crossmember drop blocks that Subaru put into the outbacks. You will have higher axle and ball joint angles though, but not enough to worry about. Undo the sway bar links when you put the struts in and it will make it much easier. The sway bar really fights you when you're trying to hyperextend the suspension to slip the strut bolts in. Once it's all together it's fine.

Don't put the subtle solutions 1" spacers on top of the outback struts in a non-outback without also putting in the crossmember drop blocks, steering coupler, and other outback spacers. You will overextend the lower ball joints if you do.