Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Oil leaks

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 91 Loyale that I'm loving so far, my first Subaru and definately won't be my last. It has just over 200k on it, and seems to be leaking oil pretty quickly. I can't tell where it's coming from, and am not the best with cars (although I would love to learn). I was wondering if there are some gaskets that go out around this mileage, or other things that would cause the leaks. It's not very rapid, but drips a noticeable amount even when parked for short time periods. I called a Subaru Mechanic who said it's normal for the EA82 engine to have bad valves/gaskets, and to just bring it in, but I would like to see if there is anyhing I can check or fix reasonably easily.

Thanks for your help,

Brian Jamieson

One thing you can do on your own is clean it up and monitor it. Once you start identifying parts and the suspect 'leakers' you can target the points where it is likely to leak - oil pan, valve covers, oil pump o-ring, oil pump shaft seal, oil pump mickey mouse gasket, crank seal, cam seals, cam case to head mating surface...to name a few. Oh yeah...and the oil filter is one to watch for too - I had that once and the location of the leak blows the oil onto the exhaust when you are driving...free smoke show for the people you pass!!!

If you can't pull the engine and fully service it, then just clean it up as best as you can then watch it to see where it leaks from over the next while. Maybe start it and have a friend push the throttle for you while you watch. Once the leak location is established, research the part and what it takes to service/replace any gaskets or rings/mating surfaces.

Depends on how dirty it is. I use a heavy duty engine degreaser for the thick dirt (like what gathers on the cross member) and then usually some carb cleaner for the not-so-caked-on stuff. A flathead screwdriver as a scraper, lots of rags/towels, various wire brushes and a bunch of patience. When most of the dirt/carbon is gone I put a brass wire wheels in my drill chuck for the last little polish. A decent solvent will help too.

Good luck,

Dean

I got a car wash that lets my wash my greasy pig....

Engine degreaser is on the selector at the carwash.

Yeah, those motors love to leak....... even the

head gaskets.. will leak oil or antifreeze..........

I used an anaerobic sealant(made by lock tite) on the cam seal's o-rings

that did the trick and on the cam boxes that helped.....

if a head gasket is leaking oil it will be on the corners

(front or back) I actualy sat and watched it drip out....

when a new head gasket is installed... mill the heads...

and make sure the o-ring in the head gasket is installed

when the head gasket is installed.... this is where it leaks

the oil(on a head gasket oil leak)

AND then there is blow by..... at that point, not much one

can do..... excessive pressure leaking by the rings into the

crankcase. just a complete mess.... this is my greasey pig...

she is in the Hospice right now with 285,000 on her.....

already started pulling parts off her for the other greasy pig

I got...... but, maybe she will be resurrected.........

I must agree... I do like these cars..... I have had

4 of them...... don't know if I will find another on the

east coast.

If you're referring to my old car, I never did locate that oil leak. It's so slow, I didn't really bother. I'm pretty sure it's way less than a quart between oil changes (3k miles)...

I'd check valve cover gaskets first. Those seem to be a common issue on the EA82s.

I hope the car is doing well. It was way nicer than the 87 GL I got to replace it! I wish I kept it. ha ha