Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thickness spec for 2000 Forester clutch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aa8jzdial

aa8jzdial

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • muskegon michigan

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

In need of go/no go thickness spec for clutch.
As title says, 2000 Forester.
130k on vehicle.
I don't want to spend $175 if not necessary.
Did a quick archive search and found nothing firm.
thanks
rick
w mi

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Autozone will sell you a reman clutch disk for $50. They've worked OK for me in the past, and I'd throw a fresh disk in each time I had the motor or tranny out. Which was more often than I would have cared, but I beat the ************ out of it.

I've used the take out disks from my wheeler in a WRX and a turbo legacy because they were better than the disks that came out of them, and they worked fine.

If it's worn to the point that the cross grooves in the disk that divide the friction surface into pad sections are pretty much flush with the surface, it's time to replace it.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,531 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

Disc thickness really isn't as big of a deal as it may seem. With that kind of mileage the pressure plate (if original) is probably pretty weak, that's generally where your slipping clutch starts.
Not to mention pilot and release bearings will be dry by now, which means it will only be a matter of time before they fail.
Check Ebay for clutch kits. You can probably find an Exedy/Daikin kit (they make the factory clutch for Subaru) for under $150 shipped.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:12 AM

Yes, pressure plates can wear out. My dad's 95 legacy was slipping if you engaged the clutch under power, took it apart and found the disk was still in OK shape. Everything looked normal in there, so I grabbed a pressure plate off my spare parts pile, cleaned the rust off it, and slapped it on. Clutch works fine now, so the pressure plate had lost it's clamping force.

Chucked that one in scrap metal, didn't want it getting mixed into my spare parts stash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users