Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 steering rack, ATF ok?

MilesFox

I am swapping my 3door to 5 lug, and i have the xt6 rack with lines that fit the car like it would, and i also have a spare rack that cam with a 98 legacy outback9unknown origin) that takes advantage of the 2n hole in the xt6 crossmember that would otherwise have to be cut out on the regualr ea82 crossmember.

The legacy rack will fit, if i have th right ej22 lines anf pump to fit on a ej222 and xt6 crossmember.

But i am thinking that the xt6 rack has a quicker steering ratio. So, my preference would be the xt6 for fit, and performance, so that leads me to ask if ATF is ok in the rack itself instead of cybrid gold fluid.

I had mentioned this before, but i want to ask anyone that has either used an xt6 rack in a swap, or has run ATF n an xt6 cybrid steering to know if it works or not, or what to expect.

Otherwise, i could consider an impreza rack, but the xt6 or legacy stuff is what i have to put my car together and drive.

The XT6 rack is the same as a regular XT rack with a bit less travel (same ratio as the 4-cyl XT rack, faster than a standard EA82, but full-lock is less of an angle due to the wider tires). So yes, same fluid is fine. It's the pump that's more sensitive to the correct fluid.

i still have the cybrid pump and the lines to it, less the rack. I need to put it in a box and make it ready to ship. I am not in a position to take anyone's money until it has a shipping label. My shop space is flipped upside down, and i am knee deep in my project. Soon i will inventory and box up all my items for sale, and list them all at once. I still got it for you, just let me round it up

I ended up using the xt6 steering lines since it has the right fitting for the ej pump.

Vice versa of all of this, i bet you could run the legacy hoses with legacy rack with the cybrid pump and its fluid. The hardlines would be bent differently on the legacy, but the fittings would work with the cybrid pump, whereas an EA82 steering line would not connect the same(using the proper mounting location on the crossmember)

IMG_0101.JPG

i still have the cybrid pump and the lines to it, less the rack. I need to put it in a box and make it ready to ship. I am not in a position to take anyone's money until it has a shipping label. My shop space is flipped upside down, and i am knee deep in my project. Soon i will inventory and box up all my items for sale, and list them all at once. I still got it for you, just let me round it up

No worries. I just never heard back from you.

Jacob