Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

xt6 steering rack, ATF ok?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am swapping my 3door to 5 lug, and i have the xt6 rack with lines that fit the car like it would, and i also have a spare rack that cam with a 98 legacy outback9unknown origin) that takes advantage of the 2n hole in the xt6 crossmember that would otherwise have to be cut out on the regualr ea82 crossmember.

The legacy rack will fit, if i have th right ej22 lines anf pump to fit on a ej222 and xt6 crossmember.

But i am thinking that the xt6 rack has a quicker steering ratio. So, my preference would be the xt6 for fit, and performance, so that leads me to ask if ATF is ok in the rack itself instead of cybrid gold fluid.

I had mentioned this before, but i want to ask anyone that has either used an xt6 rack in a swap, or has run ATF n an xt6 cybrid steering to know if it works or not, or what to expect.

Otherwise, i could consider an impreza rack, but the xt6 or legacy stuff is what i have to put my car together and drive.

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

The XT6 rack is the same as a regular XT rack with a bit less travel (same ratio as the 4-cyl XT rack, faster than a standard EA82, but full-lock is less of an angle due to the wider tires). So yes, same fluid is fine. It's the pump that's more sensitive to the correct fluid.

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

sweet. Just wanted to confirm. I already installed the rack

#4 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

So does this mean our deal fell through?

Jacob

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

i still have the cybrid pump and the lines to it, less the rack. I need to put it in a box and make it ready to ship. I am not in a position to take anyone's money until it has a shipping label. My shop space is flipped upside down, and i am knee deep in my project. Soon i will inventory and box up all my items for sale, and list them all at once. I still got it for you, just let me round it up

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

I ended up using the xt6 steering lines since it has the right fitting for the ej pump.

Vice versa of all of this, i bet you could run the legacy hoses with legacy rack with the cybrid pump and its fluid. The hardlines would be bent differently on the legacy, but the fittings would work with the cybrid pump, whereas an EA82 steering line would not connect the same(using the proper mounting location on the crossmember)
Posted Image

#7 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

i still have the cybrid pump and the lines to it, less the rack. I need to put it in a box and make it ready to ship. I am not in a position to take anyone's money until it has a shipping label. My shop space is flipped upside down, and i am knee deep in my project. Soon i will inventory and box up all my items for sale, and list them all at once. I still got it for you, just let me round it up

No worries. I just never heard back from you.

Jacob

#8 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

I may be going with an ea82 steering line as i forgot the hardline is removable from the ea82 pump to swap onto the ej pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users