Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 in 1997 Outback Wagon warning flashers

BY Mechanic

You've set of fthe alarm. Slow 4way blinking is the symptom. Ironically you can still start and drive the car!

Look for a little black button under the dash. If you're lucky it's by the hood release mounted. If you're unlucky it's in a mess of wires under the steering column under the dash. A generic black button often taped up with electrical tape making it even harder to find.

I think htere is a way to cycle the key a bunch of times or something. BUt I always figure I need the find the button anyways to program keyfob's if needed.

heat, plenty of penetrant, and SLOWWWWWWWW even torque with a long bar. Do not twist the bolt faster than it can turn. Rust is a M*F. Be prepared to pull the whole knuckle. IF the bolt breaks, you can be successful with a drill and a bench vise. Be sure to clean allt he rust out of the socket, and use plenty of anti-seize

or use a pickle fork if not replacing it.

If the bolt is turning, work it back and forth to run the rust off the threads. Usually bolts will break off at the point where the exposed threads make it into the bore threads, and stop up the whole works.

Managed to strip the threads in the block when I over torqued the head bolts when I was reassembling my EJ25. Thought I would try a helicoil kit but the recessed threads require an increased clearance hole diameter. I have no problem doing it but wondered if anyone had successfully tried it before? Are the helicoil thread inserts strong enough to hold the head tight. I need to thread # 3, 4 and 6.