Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, looks like a great site here. I just bought my 1st Subaru. 1999 Forester. I am a mechanic but no experiance with these cars. I am going to be on the road a lot and want to head off any forseeable problems. It is a one owner w/ 60K miles. The only thing that seems to need attention are the front brakes. Sounds like the wear sensor and peddle seems to go pretty far done. I am planning on replacing the plugs, air and fuel filter, PCV valve, hoses and belts, Auto trans fluid/filter, and brakes as necessary. I guess my question is two fold. Is there anything else I should be checking and is there anything specific to Subaru I should know? Thank you very much.

Timing belt interval for most of these cars is 62k miles! While in there, replace the crank and cam seals. I would leave the water pump and oil-pump seals until you reach 124k. Tensioner and bearings will also last two belts.

Your list does seem comprehensive, so you shouldn't expect anything. Hats off for noticing the PCV - most people don't understand how important this is.

Thank you for the help. I read with intrest many, many posts about head gaskets. Any other ideas, send them out. I'll be getting after it this weekend.

As a side note, I am very happy to have found this site. It appears to be as helpful as one I use all the time for my pass time / project car; 1969 Z28 Camaro. Keep up the good job here. Thank you.

interval was 90,000 on my forester I believe. I have heard quite a bit of arguement on this as all the older cars were 60,000 and some folks think that is cheap insurance.

I did mine at about 87,000 if I recall. Shortly after I bought it I had everything from the clutch to head gaskets and seals all done at once by the dealer. Got rid of tyhe water pump and tensioner and the stupid plastic oil slinger behind the flywheel all at once.