Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Outback Price, Pet Barrier, Trailer Hitch

I may be buying a new 2004 outback next week and dumping my 97 on the dealer. My cost without the trade in on the car after tax title and license is $21,661, for a true base model Outback, stick shift and all, with an all weather package added. Does anyone out there this this is a bad deal, and if so, where can I get a better one?

Second issue, I have a subaru pet barrier in my 97, and a draw tite hitch originally from the dealer. Will either of these fit right on the 2004?

Thanks much,

Joel

That's a tough one on price... How much are they charging for tax and fees??

We paid about that for our 03 Legacy GT last July. It had a sticker of about $27k. Personally though if you're getting the 1.9% financing you can't go wrong at that price. I'd tell them that the deal breaker is a rear hatch wing. The back window gets filthy without it.:D

That price includes everything. Tax Title license transfer, everything. That's how much my loan would be.

Now, of course, my 1997 has a bum cylinder head, or at the very least a blown head gasket. Just about everyone I've talked to says that the pistons and cylinders are probably scuffed to heck, and so I'm faced with putting a new engine in at $4K, or getting the heads replaced at $3200, which is assumeing they don't find more wrong with it when they take it apart. I'm buying new instead, and I'll sell that in three years at 60K miles for $13,000.

Look for my next post, I'm considering putting the trailer hitch and the pet barrier from my old car on Ebay, unless I find an interested party on here. The pet barrier is only two years old, and the hitch(A draw tite class 2 receiver, from the dealer) is only one year old. Is it against forum rules to post to try to connect with buyers? Let me know and I won't post any more about it here.

Thanks for the replies on price, that makes me feel a bit more comfortable with the buy. I give the dealer my final decision on monday.