Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 EA82 SPFI Block Swap

6 Star

Since the funds/means for an EJ swap are a bit out of my reach, I'm thinking of making some improvements that I can actually get my hands on. (and not have to do tons of wiring :D)

My '86 wagon has a stock carbed hitachi engine, and its on its way out. :dead:

I'd like to go through and just reseal the engine and retune the carb, but if I'm going through the trouble I'd like to make improvements while I'm at it.

I tried some searching and didn't come up with much.

My question is:

If I were to swap in a spfi longblock (higher compression) all I have to do is use the disty from the carbed engine, and the intake manifold from the carbed engine. Correct?

I'm also planning to ditch the hitachi carb and put a weber in its place.

Let me know if I am forgetting anything. :)

Thanks in advance.

you will have to delete the ASV valves on the back of the heads since the ports for them are not present on the spfi heads. OR, use the carb heads on the spfi block.

set the timing about 10 deg higher and open up the exhaust.

Sorry, I'm a little confused...

When I swap in the SPFI longblock, wont the asv be deleted in the progress with the old engine anyway?

Or can I not run the SPFI heads with the carbed intake manifold?

I just looked under both my SPFI EA82s and the heads look exactly the same as carbed heads, they just have the (would be) ASV ports already blocked off.

:confused:

Glad I'm asking questions now and not later, staring at a problem. :lol:

Yeah. I like the cherry bomb right after the y pipe flange in the midpipe, and replatcing the muffler with straight pipe(the leftover section from the middle! IT will have a stronger midrange Stay with a 1 7/8 (closest to stock) so you don't lose torque. You can go larger at the tailpipe for sound.