Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Faulty air-con compressor sensor.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jontyuk

jontyuk

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Dorset. UK

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

The air conditioning on my 1998 Legacy Wagon 2.5i suddenly stopped working. I found after eliminating the obvious causes such as low refrigerant relay, fuses etc. that the twin wire connector to what looks like a sensor on the compressor top was showing “open circuit” with my ohmmeter.
(see illustration). On jumping the connector with copper wire the air-con worked normally.

Could anyone tell me what is the function of the sensor, could I leave it as it is, or shall I replace it, I found a Subaru reference Bulletin number 10-74-02 which highlights concerns over a malfunctioning compressor revolution sensor. Is this what it is and could I do without it. No doubt it's expensive and would certainly entail a refrigerant recharge at best. Here's hoping!

Posted Image

#2 michael20

michael20

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • philippines

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

When your air compressor pressure switch is faulty, the symptoms are usually freezing up of the air conditioning system, due to the compressor not turning off.

Heating And Air

#3 Captain_Lee

Captain_Lee

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have exactly the same fault on my 96 Legacy OBW. That is the part. I was just at the A/C repair shop out of sheer desperation. The old school mechanic there ran current to it, effectively "jumping" it, and lo and behold!!! My compressor started running, and my air started blowing cold. Only problem is that the "fix" doesn't last if you don't keep it powered. So... I'm assuming we need it there. Where did you find yours? I've been looking online with no luck so far...

#4 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 854 posts
  • N. California

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

That's not a revolution sensor. I'm pretty certain that it's an thermoswitch that will kick off the compressor if it overheats. Not all models have it, either.

As long as you confirm the compressor is not getting too hot, I don't think bypassing it is a problem.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,426 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

The small one with the black plug is the revolution sensor. The larger sensor wih the green plug is probably a thermo-switch, as presslab said. I don't know that either of those sensors is available as a replacement part.

#6 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 854 posts
  • N. California

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

The small one with the black plug is the revolution sensor.

Sure? Looks like the clutch coil to me.

#7 Wayback

Wayback

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

The compressor in that pic is not original equipment. No 90's Legacy A/C compressor had more than one connector (or any connector that looked like those), or a "revolution sensor". The single wire is for the magnet clutch. The part with 2 wires is a thermal protection switch. 96-98 had them. If the switch is open and the compressor is not pretty hot, the switch is faulty. Just connect the two wires together and bypass the switch.

#8 Captain_Lee

Captain_Lee

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

fairtax4me is right -- it's the black one I was looking at, sorry for the confusion. Does ANYONE know where I can source one??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users