Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help please with Legacy front struts.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 4123

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cave Junction, Oregon

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

I have a '90 Subaru Legacy. It had the lift feature for raising it up and down for offroad use. Last month, the front struts went out completely. It now has totally ridged suspension in the front and is not drivable. I would like to replace the front struts with non raise-able struts maybe from a different year Subaru. Is this possible?

Thanks, Ron :confused:

#2 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

it is my understanding that you cannot run air suspension on only half the car. you either need to convert all four corners or replace with air struts, then the rears will likely blow up too. but yes you can use struts (at least) any gen1 (89-94) legacy. hth, and welcome aboard. RV

#3 4123

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cave Junction, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

The mechanic in my town thinks that if he plugs up the air lines that went to the front struts that that would suffice. Do you think he's wrong? Thanks, Ron

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,807 posts
  • WV

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

if you air up all the struts then disconnect them - yes you could be fine as long as the leak isn't in the front strut air bag itself. which often it's not - it's usually an oring, solenoid, or compressor/drier related.

fronts should have an air line on the top....follow that to a solenoid. simply disconnect the electrical connector of that solenoid and you've essentially deactivated the strut...as long as the solenoid itself or the orings at the air line between the solenoid and strut aren't the cause of the leak.

i've done partial conversions to coil over and left some air struts in place and operational. simply required two things:
leaving a solenoid connected to the wiring harness connector so it still has that in place and there was a simple process of grounding a pin at each strut or something like that for the height sensor - basically it tells the computer that that strut height sensor is where it's supposed to be and it won't continually try to air it up. i forget how i did it but it wasn't hard at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users