Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here is my story. I have a 2000 Outback wagon purchased in 2004. The car came with two remotes and two keys. I used one of the remotes all the time. Last year I noticed the remote not working very well so I changed the battery. It helped a little but the range while it improved with the new battery did not extend as far as when I first purchased the car. It got to the point to unlock / lock the car required me to push the buttons many times to get it to function and I had to stand next to the car to get it to function at all.

Recently, I was going on a long trip and rather than taking the very problematic remote or take the only good remote, I opted to purchase a new remote. I had it in the glove box still in the plastic. One morning I came out of the hotel and the old problematic remote would not unlock the car. Used the key. Off went the alarm. Hoped in the did the three on - offs with the key and the alarm quieted. Pulled out the new remote - it's one of the new tear drop design - and the owners manual. Programmed the car to new remote. Everything went fine except that after all was done I was in valet mode. The new remote locked and unlocked the doors but I could not get it out of valet mode.

After getting back home I pulled out the other remote that originally came with the car. On the first attempt with that remote, the car exited valet mode. The new tear drop remote works fine to lock and unlock the car but it appears to not be able to fo some of the higher end functions to the older alarm systems.

Can anyone confirm / deny this? Got any suggestions?

Steve