Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Swap Questions: Exhaust/ASV, PCV, Vacuum

First off, I want to thank the board for all the information. I'm getting close to finishing weber swap. Super stoked :headbang:. I have a few remaining questions though.

ASV

2wo96c9.jpg

2s952dz.jpg

2ppyfkh.jpg

Passenger side ASV has a T before the valve. One end goes to the air filter and the other looks like it goes to another ASV silencer. Then there's another hose on the other end of that silencer that eventually connects to right before the second cat. For now I was thinking of just disconnecting that and leaving it and do the quarter trick on the valves. Anyone done a more permanent solution that involves removing it from the bay?

PCV

I was searching around and I found out what to hook up but had a couple of questions about setup.

There's already one hole in the bottom of my air filter housing. So, do I need another hole drilled in there? (i.e. One for the 5/8ths from air housing to passenger head and one for the 1/4 from F fitting to air housing...)

Also, the last two cars I've tinkered around with (my Sube and my '87 Econoline) there has been a filter inside the original air housing where the PCV connects to it. I swapped them out cause they were saturated with oil. Does anyone put an additional filter on the 1/4 line back to air filter? or is that not necessary?

Vacuum

wrym9h.jpg

What are these two valves? I couldn't find any mention of what they do in the Haynes and am still waiting for my Bentley. From my searching it seems that heater can go directly to manifold vacuum. Are these necessary?

Thank you-

Toshi

Sorry, one more question..

I swapped out my intake manifold because I had the Weber/Carter. The intake manifold's temperature sensor is a little different (Also, on the other side.) It only has one prong compared to my old sensor had two prongs..

149o3o4.jpg

2j5h1dj.jpg

I just hooked it up with the same orientation even though it only has one prong. Does this matter?

Thanks again-

Toshi

On the water temp sensor use the one from the car and orientation doesn't matter. That just tells the dash gauge the temp for the driver.

For the exhaust I would assume a mid pipe from a non carter system car would bolt in and likely only have the resonator in that position. At a minimum it wouldn't have the ASV system pipe in it. I have always unplugged the two mentioned valves, removed them and their vac lines.

I have my ASV system plugged off at the incoming metal flange of the ASV pump itself. I have 2 of them on my EA82, idk what your running. I just removed the hose and put large vacuum plugs on the flange. I haven't got around to removing the pumps yet. You can pinch off or plug the pipes connected by the exhaust manifold, which is what I will eventually do. basically the closer to the exhaust you plug it off the more of the system you can remove.

many people just run the basic pcv routing and have a breather cap or air inlet from the carb base on the passenger head, and route the drivers side head direct to the pcv valve. That foam filter just keeps oil out of the air cleaner assembly, a breather cap will have one if you want it to run from the air cleaner you can likely find a foamy filter inside a grommet to stick on there. Ive seen them before but I can't remember the application.

those valves are vacuum switches, and that sensor you have pics of looks a lot like a vacuum sensor for that system. its section 4A in your haynes. did you have a feedback system? if its for running carb stuff then you can obviously loose it now that the weber is on there, if you no longer have the sensors that run them I doubt they will work anyway.

if that is a temp sensor for your gauge use the old one that was matched to the gauge. if its a sensor for your old carb setup it doesn't matter anymore.

I'm just putting off the ASV stuff for now.

For the PCV, I was checking out the Weber air housing and am curious how the hell do you get both a 5/8ths and a 1/4th up in there.. Seem like there's barely enough space for just eh 1/4. I guess for now I could go with that simplified setup until I can figure out something better.

Anyone have some pictures of a correct PCV setup with a Weber?

I ended up removing those valves. So now I have manifold vacuum to a plastic T. One end of the T is capped and the other one goes to the heater. I guess the vacuum tube size on the heater is slightly smaller.