Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifted 2005 2.5i Wagon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2112

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Westford, Vermont, USA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

Howdy!
I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5i, 5-speed wagon that I have plans to lift. My intention is to purchase lifted OB King Springs with a set of rear "saggy butt" spacers. I was also considering the body lift blocks from an OB. I would also be upgrading the camber bolts and any worn bushings to be replaced with poly bushings. KYB OB struts/shocks and new top hats will also be purchased. Is there anything I should be considering or am forgetting?

I also plan to outfit it with Primative skid plate set and fabbed front light bar (4-tab with a provision for a CB antenna) and rear hitch mounted tire carrier.

Other upgrades will inclade CB, upgraded stereo, additional guages, BF Goodrich ATs, rally mudflaps and lower body bedliner repaint.
This will be an on-going project (as they all seem to be) and needed repairs (HVAC issues, inoperable rear wiper and a few other odds and ends) will need to be completed first. This vehicle will be primarily built for the awful roads around here and some light to moderate off-roading. (Still cheaper than buying a new one!)

Again, if I am forgetting or should there be better alternatives, I am open to suggestions as my experiences are with a heavily modified Explorer, a Neon rally car and a Jeep Speed Challenge Cherokee, never an AWD or a Subaru.
Thanks!
2112 :brow:

#2 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,472 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Well if you're doing just an ob lift with the ob body blocks, I'm sure the brake lines will be ok but I'm not sure about the steering shaft. Might have to get one from an ob but I actually haven't ever body lifted one so I'm not for sure. You could get a d/r imported for it but that's a bit pricey, and the low range for the ej cars is... really only good for taking off up a steep road from a dead stop in the city, no real crawl capabilities like the older EA82 d/r 5spds. But I think you could get the d/r from the older trans machined to fit into the ej d/r box. That'll make a great all-weather, rough road car. The king springs will help with ride height, I had a '96 Outback with kings, think I got 1 3/4" in the front and 2" in the rear with the 3/4" spacers. Could really load it down with wood and it wouldn't squat like it did before.

The Outbacks DO come with a 4.11 final drive, which does make a difference offroad. My Outback with the stock size tires could do everything my 5spd d/r could do. Your Legacy is probably a 3.9 final drive.

#3 2112

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Westford, Vermont, USA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Stupid question, but, I would need to scavenge a 5sp tranny from a OB to get the 4.11 final drive or can I just do a gear swap? I'm new at this so please pardon my lack of knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users