Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding heated mirrors to a 99 Subaru Outback

I have wanted to add heated mirrors to my outback for some time now. I was wondering how easy and what you have to do to install them on a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. It’s one of the base models but it does have power mirrors (not sure if that matters).

I have searched through the webs and several forums and cant confirm if its possible or not. Some forums state you have to run the wires others say the wires are there and I just need to add the switch.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone have a place I can look for more info?

Appreciate your help.

Go to the junkyard to see how they are put together.

Prolly a good place to start, is to remove a door panel, and look for unused wiring with a terminal with nothing plugged into it. I remember that is how my 99 OBW wiring is set up, when I replaced a broken door mirror. This will tell you if your car is wired for heated mirrors or not.

Also, I remember that the mirror is held on with screws. They can be extremely difficult to remove, as they are often super tight. It is very easy to round off the screw head, so be careful.