Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Electric Choke Weber-Can I put manual on?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newgen85brat

newgen85brat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Shenandoah

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I am having some issues starting when it is cold with the new weber. I kind of feel I should put a manual choke on it. When I bought it, there was no option for a manual only electric. Can you put a manual choke kit in like we used to put on old 4 barrel quadrajets? It was a simple kit that included everything and you just pulled out the electric and inserted the manual. Any suggestions? Ideas on tuning the electric choke? Thanks

#2 Hitoshi

Hitoshi

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

There is a manual conversion kit. I've seen them for like $30 bucks or so on ebay.

Also, I found a Weber carburetor troubleshooting guide online which I followed to set up my electric choke.

If you google "Weber carburetor troubleshooting guide" you'll probably be able to find it. It's section 5D.

-Toshi

#3 Hitoshi

Hitoshi

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

https://docs.google....T3PHG_looKGHXxg

#4 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

I am having some issues starting when it is cold with the new weber. I kind of feel I should put a manual choke on it. When I bought it, there was no option for a manual only electric. Can you put a manual choke kit in like we used to put on old 4 barrel quadrajets? It was a simple kit that included everything and you just pulled out the electric and inserted the manual. Any suggestions? Ideas on tuning the electric choke? Thanks

What is the choke doing? It might be that your primary idle jet is a little too large or your power valve is leaky (or some other enrichment condition) and the choke enrichs too much on start up for the car to fire-up correctly. I prefer manual chokes anyway, but you might find that that is not the problem. It does make it easier to test though when you can just push and pull the cable from the driver's seat.

#5 newgen85brat

newgen85brat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Shenandoah

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have to constantly feather the foot feed when I start it. Thank you for the link to the weber troubleshooting guide. I will try working on it again. It could be the idle mixture setting. I will get that set first. I was a little intimidated by the setting and was worried it was getting too rich although it does not smell rich in the exhaust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users