Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric Choke Weber-Can I put manual on?

I am having some issues starting when it is cold with the new weber. I kind of feel I should put a manual choke on it. When I bought it, there was no option for a manual only electric. Can you put a manual choke kit in like we used to put on old 4 barrel quadrajets? It was a simple kit that included everything and you just pulled out the electric and inserted the manual. Any suggestions? Ideas on tuning the electric choke? Thanks

There is a manual conversion kit. I've seen them for like $30 bucks or so on ebay.

Also, I found a Weber carburetor troubleshooting guide online which I followed to set up my electric choke.

If you google "Weber carburetor troubleshooting guide" you'll probably be able to find it. It's section 5D.

-Toshi

I am having some issues starting when it is cold with the new weber. I kind of feel I should put a manual choke on it. When I bought it, there was no option for a manual only electric. Can you put a manual choke kit in like we used to put on old 4 barrel quadrajets? It was a simple kit that included everything and you just pulled out the electric and inserted the manual. Any suggestions? Ideas on tuning the electric choke? Thanks

What is the choke doing? It might be that your primary idle jet is a little too large or your power valve is leaky (or some other enrichment condition) and the choke enrichs too much on start up for the car to fire-up correctly. I prefer manual chokes anyway, but you might find that that is not the problem. It does make it easier to test though when you can just push and pull the cable from the driver's seat.

I have to constantly feather the foot feed when I start it. Thank you for the link to the weber troubleshooting guide. I will try working on it again. It could be the idle mixture setting. I will get that set first. I was a little intimidated by the setting and was worried it was getting too rich although it does not smell rich in the exhaust.