Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Cv axle problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Murdockleone

Murdockleone

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Boise

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

So I can not for the life of me get my cv axle back into the rear housing on a 85 gl 4wd. PLEASE someone help. All the hammering in the world hasn't helped me a bit

#2 El Presidente

El Presidente

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Northgate/Seattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Have you tried disconnecting the rear shock at the trailing arm? You need to get the tire off the ground, but doing so will allow the stub shaft in the trailing arm to swing down far enough to easily get it in. I ALWAYS coat the splines on both ends with anti-seize or at least axle grease to keep them from rusting together. Keep and re-use the stock pins too, they're much better quality than any aftermarket ones

Josh

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,486 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

There is a cir clip inside the cup if you are trying to assemble the bearing part.

What are you hammering on? Did the axle pull apart?

#4 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Rear housing? I had to drop my rear differential down, in order to get the space to slip the CV joints over the stub. And there is two ways to put the CV axle on. The right way and the wrong way. The lead pin hole on the differential stub, tapers so that the lead pin can only go in, in one direction. And the CV joint has a smaller and a larger hole. So you can only fit the pin through the larger hole of the CV joint, into the larger diameter hole in the differential stub. Since there is an odd number of grooves in the stub, if you don't have the right alignment, the holes then do not align. Maybe that is your assembly problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users