Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting lesson learned about our '84 Brat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Our '84 Brat is driven very occasionally. It's our backup car if one of our other cars is in the shop for repair. Over the months the directional signals started to fail and finally no directional signals and no hazard warning lights.

Rains stopped long enough for me to look into it. Checked the turn signal fuse and it was okay. Took front and rear signal housings apart and other than some corrosion in the sockets I didn't find any bad bulbs (other than one backup bulb which had nothing to do with the problem).

Time to grab the shop manual and look to see where I should look. Found the Brat has a combination hazard/signal module. I couldn't find it under the dash where it was supposed to be. I took a 2nd look at wiring diagram and noticed that the fuse feeding the hazard/signal module also fed the horn. Went to the car and found the horn didn't work either (who uses the horn anyway?). Checked the horn fuse.....OPEN. A little time spent with the manual and analyzing the problem and symptoms would have turned a 2 hour fix into a 5 minute fix.

#2 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks edrach, Printed, folded and put with the 84 fix it book. May save me some time with my 84 Hatch & Brat ... strange how we can have same vehicles but never have the same problem.... but one never knows...

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks edrach, Printed, folded and put with the 84 fix it book. May save me some time with my 84 Hatch & Brat ... strange how we can have same vehicles but never have the same problem.... but one never knows...

It could happen. Wiring for the '84 GL and Brat are pretty similar according to the shop manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users