Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 outback H6 catalytic converter question

Engine light came on so I had it checked out

My 2nd catalytic converter is cracked and needs replacement.

The part is about 1500 bucks round my parts.

My question is if I don't have it what are the consequences to the engine.

Does it affect performance?

Will it affect other sensors etc.

what's the aftermarket solution.

Thanks in advance.

post the exact code here, that would be most helpful. you have lots of options:

1. don't get it fixed. the check engine light was probably the 0420 code which is benign and doesn't affect engine performance, it's not even used by the ECU for engine controlling. but you will have a code and check engine light, just ignore it.

2. if it's the 0420 code then simply install the $5 O2 extenders off ebay and the code and check engine light will disappear.

3. have yours repaired if at all possible. you haven't given us enough information to comment specifically but in general the flanges get rusty and fall apart. if the rest of the pipe is in good condition it is wise to simply repair your existing exhaust by welding on a new flange or repairing a rust hole where a hangar was attached - those are the two spots prone to rust/failure/cracking/holes. i could give more specific advice with a better description or picture. in this case the key is finding a good repair shop that knows how to do it right and doesn't want to gouge you or charge inordinate prices to bolt on new parts.

typical exhaust repair at the rear flange costs $40-$50 to repair, they just cut out the rusty flange and weld in a new coupler. 30 minutes, cheap, and you retain the rest of the original Subaru OEM exhaust which is better quality metal than aftermarket stuffs.

4. get a used part. the Subaru OEM exhaust is high quality metal and lasts a long time if you can find one that's not already rusty.

5. aftermarket is okay...they just rust out much quicker. they cheaper they are the faster they rust. the really cheap like $80 midpipes/converters can be covered in rust in a year.

Rockauto has midpipes/converters for your car for $100. I was going to buy one if I couldn't find a good used one. I got a board member to ship me a used Subaru OEM one from a non-rusty area of the country instead.

My question is if I don't have it what are the consequences to the engine.

the consequences to removing the converter is a check engine light. it won't affect engine performance or anything else at all, it can't since it's not even used by the ECU. i've been driving one of mine for 65,000 miles with the 0420 code, it's meaningless.

what does "cracked" mean? where is the crack, can you get a photo?

you had no symptoms, your description suggests you only went in because the check engine light came on....but there's a "crack"?

a crack can be welded shut in 3 minutes but i suspect something more ominous.

Edited by grossgary