Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brothers wagon

AKghandi

well I've been driving the snot out of the car, no problems real problems yet.

although one of the front cv boots tore, I have 2 brand new spares so I just gotta find the time to fix it.

In other news I cranked up the factory rear struts, and did more trimming in the front. only rub is at full lock now.

• 1 month later...

Took the car out wheeling this morning with 15+ built trucks, 2 of which were chevys on 44's the rest were jeeps, toyotas and range rovers.

Actually did pretty dang well, we weren't the first ones to get stuck! will have pics and video up soon.

learned a lot about what the car needs, so a new plan has been created. During some spirited attempts to get up a rather large hill, the car has started acting funny. it stalls and makes an almost knocking sound. due to the amount of work we were putting it through, and the fact it was overheating most of the time, I'm going to guess it cracked a head, no oil-coolant mixing yet.  The main problems I found was that I either had power, traction, or a clutch that was holding, never all three. Had to rev it to 6k and drop the clutch to get the tires going.

So plans will be as follows, along with the already planned welded rear, an SPFI block and heads will be purchased along with some delta TQ cams, and a webber. Going to build a high compression motor, with a full reseal. It will hopefully have enough power to get the tires going. This motor was already pretty tired so it should be a welcome increase in power. along with the motor a better clutch is needed, a local shop should be able to make me a nice heavy clutch for it, hopefully it will be near XT6 specs. Also going to work out some kind of snorkel.

Not sure when this will all be happening but it will be soon.

heres a pic, Not mine, one of the other wheelers. I will have my pics up soon.

5.jpg

Edited by AKghandi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So did some more work to this beast today, I went wheeling in this little area near my house, and with everything melting there is some serious mud. I managed to find the deepest hole..Needless to say I got stuck up to the rockers, luckily a friend randomly happened to show up with impeccable timing, and pulled me out. then while keeping some speed up to make it through the mud, one of the sleeves on the rear adjustable struts slipped and left the tire touching the fender.

So then I went and bought the only 2 rear struts in town and replaced them, It doesn't sit as high as it used to but it rides a bit better. and it only took me 45 mins. Also If you don't have any new bumpstops to put in the struts, a couple old radius rod bushings work perfect.

I wish I had gotten some pictures of the stuck but I didn't have a camera.

soon after I got it fixed a guy's car broke down outside my house so I thought I would pay it forward and I towed him back to his house.

All in all a pretty eventful day.

more progress on the beast, replaced a couple vacuum lines and set the timing.

the timing was set at about 15 degrees, no wonder it was gutless and had ping under hard load. Set it to 8 degrees like is supposed to be and WOW what a difference, its like a different car. drove up a very steep snow bank, very short and very steep, the back bumper actually touched. drove up, came to a stop and it actually had enough power to keep climbing. Awesome.

• 11 months later...

Well I'm going to zombify this thread as i have good news!! this car is actually mine now. i was just holding on to it for my brother who bought the car and the tires.

but now i bought him out on it and this car is all mine now.

plans are still the same. NEW ENGINE. this car is getting so gutless. so im on the look out for a SPFI motor to weberize and deltafy.

already put in a snorkel, and i upgraded the rear struts to the 98 4 runner units, and tonight i just bought 86 accord coil springs for the back as well.

i keep my tools on the back of the car  and it bottoms out pretty easily. i think im going to trade out the monroes i put in for a set of  kybs

• 1 month later...

More news on my beast, the accord springs and 4 runner struts is the best mod i have done to this car yet, with just the springs and struts the rear is at the perfect height without the lift brackets. they bottom out right before they rub.

i also finally spaced the front subframe down about 3/4" jut unbolted it and put some spacers and washers and bolted it back up

it drives almost like a normal car now.

and lastly it now has a propperly welded diff because i managed to explode the open diff, pretty sure i managed to blow the spider gears.

djvhr.jpg

what you dont see is the 5' deep hole my drivers tire is sitting in,

The steering was actually easier for a while but I suspect I have damaged somethimg because it has increased quite a bit. Im thinking its the strut tops or the ball joints or maybe even the rack got some dirt in it. I have the parts already just not the time