Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 Belt configuration

1986 ea82 wagon

I removed the AC compressor and replaced the alternator bracket with one from a non AC car.

What is the correct belt configuration for the non-AC ea82?

The car also has power steering.

Do I ditch the adjustable pully that was stock?

I don't have a ea82 manual of any kind, would somebody be kind enough to scan or snap a pic from out of a manuel of the two belt configurations for this car, with and without AC?

Thanks!

The belt goes around the crank pulley, water pump, power steering pump and alternator. The alternator's bracket is there to tighten the belt or belts up. So ditch the adjustable pulley because you should not need it with the non ac configuration. Now that you have two belts in there (as I suspect since it's ac version) you can use both of them or just one. It's up to you if you want to use two belts when the other acts as a backup if otherone brakes down.

Heres the pic you asked:

P3050089.JPG

Hope this helps !

Edited by -tombba-

Its been a while since I have done an EA82 Water pump but be aware that some use a long style and some use a short style... so in changing to the non AC alternator bracket you may now need to change your water pump as well.  My 87 GL was a non AC with power steering and I loved that it had belt redundancy.  The two belts ran the exact same path (and it saved me a breakdown afew times)