Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

86 GL Hatchback recent purchase

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kharris360

kharris360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Orofino, Idaho

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi I just bought this peach for $500 bucks with 2 spare motors all the ac stuff and any other parts I wanted. The guy I got it from still has three left for sale 2 run and the other just needs the motor install finished. I would like any info that would help me with making this the best commuter car ever! lifts or any other cool upgrades would be cool to. Thanks

Attached Files

#2 kharris360

kharris360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Orofino, Idaho

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I could really use a back seat to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

#3 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

First,  I would remove some useless emissions.  General Disorder did a great write up on removing a few items and then adjusting the carb.  Others advocate putting in a Weber Carberator... but the first one doesn't cost anything and helps it run a bit peppier/smoother.   

Second, If you have some extra cash, put in a 5-speed transmission.  Bratsrus1, builds tranny kits and you will have to locate a 5-sp tranny from a wagon from about a 82 to 89 wagon.  This is the best mod you can do to start with but does cost.  So lets say $150 for tranny, $1xx.00 for tranny kit, clutch disc.. and lengthen drive line which cost the most of all the parts so real price saving if you know someone who does drive-lines. (5 speed tranny is shorter than the 4 speed.) 

So do a "Search" on EA-81 engine and 5-speed conversion etc.. read, read, read,... 

I did both above on my 84 Brat and it is a great road warrior.  

Lifting a rig to me would be last on the list. 

Also, rust.... address the rust.  Look where the jack points are and that under area can be treated by an under sealant.

my .o2

Looks like a nice subie.  $500.  not bad. 

Edited by Indrid cold, 25 March 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#4 wannaOLDsubie

wannaOLDsubie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • provo utah

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

:) 

The guy I got it from still has three left for sale 2 run and the other just needs the motor install finished.

Ok.

1.Three left....of what?  Hatchies or Motors?

2. Contact me if the guy has Three Hatchies 4-sale

3. Don't tell anyone and I will give u a finders fee, if I go buy a Hatchie

4. Can you tell that I really,really,really Want  A HATCHIE!!! FOR CHEAP LIKE YOU DID!!!! YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN :o

Thank you :)

#5 kharris360

kharris360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Orofino, Idaho

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

yes he has 3 hatchies for sale. 1 runs and drives, 1 has a rebuilt motor that needs install finished, and 1 runs and drives but is off road only. and he has lots of body parts and other misc stuff 

#6 alansgoat

alansgoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Plumas Lake, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

I just bought an '87 Standard model with 75k original miles on it.  I'm used to the GL model wagons, sedans and hardtops and forgot they actually made these cars with rubber floor mats!  It's all good, because it does have the one option available on these cars...air conditioning!  Since this is going to be a commuter car, I really don't need more than that.  But I sure would like to get a line on a couple of parts...like a wing window latch for the passenger's side, a nice headliner (without holes in it) and a nice looking grille. 

#7 wannaOLDsubie

wannaOLDsubie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • provo utah

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Sent u a message kharris360. Need more info. KTHKSBYE

#8 wannaOLDsubie

wannaOLDsubie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • provo utah

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Sent u a message kharris360. Need more info. KTHKSBYE

#9 Subaru80

Subaru80

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • New York

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hi! Nice find! 

I purchased a 1980 Hatchback about 2 years ago.   When I found the car it was in horrible shape.  It had a horrible green color and the interior was ripped to pieces.  Luckily the body was solid and the engine was good.   Since then I have done this! It is now  a completely different car and currently everything is working.

Attached File  Subaryu 25.jpg   58.1K   41 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 3.jpg   58.31K   40 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 6.jpg   55.31K   38 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 8.jpg   45.96K   36 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 11.jpg   35.16K   37 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 10.jpg   54.47K   37 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 7.jpg   42.02K   46 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 21.jpg   61.68K   38 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 19.jpg   66.99K   36 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 20.jpg   60.44K   36 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 22.jpg   60.7K   55 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 12.jpg   60.15K   28 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 5.jpg   64.72K   47 downloadsAttached File  Subaru 2.jpg   56.54K   40 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Subaru80, 16 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#10 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

For $500 it looks lijke a real bargain! Here that kind of money would buy a scrap spares-only heap.

#11 DevoScoobyRoo

DevoScoobyRoo

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Portland! Ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users