Ultimate Subaru Message Board

POR 15 Whitecote for rust on Loyale?

POR has a product called WhiteCote  ( http://www.por15.com/WHITECOTE/productinfo/WCG/  )that from what I can tell is the same as the black except for the color. I am going to try it out on my white iron hand rail for my house next weekend.  But I also am wondering if it will work for spot rust on my  White Loyale.

The type of rust I am talking about is the small spot rust beginnings as shown in the pic below (see label RUST)

post-7085-0-02537100-1364235016_thumb.jpg

I have this all over the inside of my trunk. If I use POR 15 do I have to take it to bare metal or just scuff it? I appreciate advice from those who have actually used the POR 15 product, even if it is the black stuff.

Thanks.

take as much of the rust off as you can.  the chem rust preventers are mainly for the rust you cant see.  the surface of the metal is rough and porous even if you cant see it, and the liquid will get into the crevasses.

ive seen people use it on rust like in the picture and it works ok, but id take as much off as you can first.  id probably just wire wheel it so you arent removing any actual metal and use the POR.  id give it a shot of actual paint over it as well, but im not fully informed on POR 15 so check out what the bottle says.