Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

reinforcing Subaru's body

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Got an idea the other day after a safety meeting.  Biggest failure point I've seen on a EJ car is the front tow hooks.  They were never designed as a recovery point but The more I've looked at mine wagon, I think I've found a way to reinforce that part of the car to where it'd be rigid enough to pull on and not worry about ripping off hooks or the bottom of the core support.

roughly a 10"x15" plate 1/8" thick.  A SRS sensor will have to be unbolted and can be relocated (I like the idea of keeping my airbag system intact)  Underneath the headlight is a single layer piece of body metal, that I guess protects the bottom of the headlight.  This will be removed.  From there the plate will be trimmed to fit over the outside of the unibody directly over the part where the tow hook is sandwiched between the front clip.  Plate gets welded from there 15 inches back.  It will almost end up at the crossmember mount bolts.  

From there, a piece of 1/4" 2 wide flat stock gets welded to teh bottom of the core support (where the holes for a skid plate sit)  

So basically with bolt outer sides plated up and the bottom of the core support, that just leaves the engine bay side of the unibody.  I need to get into the shop and take measurements, but I think 2x2 angle iron will go on the inside, allowing holes to be drilled to bolt the 2 welded on plates together.  This will sandwich the "frame" around the tow hooks.

Kind of a half assed write up, but I will get more detailed and take pictures as I go.

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,946 posts
  • NH

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

What failures have you seen on the EJ front hooks? I've put the EA ones through hell and they look to be the exact same design as the EJ ones.

The EJ hooks that got sawed off flush with the frame were due to a recall for airbags going off when the hooks would catch a curb.

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

I've ripped EJ ones completely out of the car.  not to mention a lot of surrounding metals

#4 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Straight pulls they do okay, but the stock points dont much care for lateral pressure. Oh, i know. And straight pulls arent always possible, so yeah. Good idea torxxx!
After that, tie the two sides together, and build a good sturdy winch mount.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,462 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Tie them together with the bumper and they do pretty good. I've done that to both my front and back

Edited by Gloyale, 07 April 2013 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users