Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front end difference question

Hey guys, i have a 79 brat that i was going to restore, but i've decided that it just has too much rust so i'm going to buy a slightly nicer one but i can't find any 79's. Whats the front end difference between the 78-81? Can i put a 79 front end on a 78 or do i only need to swap the grille? The reason for me asking is my favorite style is the two big headlights as opposed to the 4 small ones. Is the only difference the grille/headlights or is the whole front end different? And if the whole front end is different will the 79 front end bolt on? Any help would be appreciated!

1 gen Brats are divided in two: GL and DL. All body parts are the same EXCEPT the front grill (either 2 or 4 headlights) and the body part that supports the grill and front bumper right in front of the radiator.

Oh okay. So if i buy a 78 i can just use the grill headlights and that grill support part from the 79 and it will look the same?