Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

catalytic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lacyjs9

Lacyjs9

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Mcleansville NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

am i better off removing and replacing it with a straight pipe or just replacing the cat 

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

"Better off" is a subjective term open to all sorts of interpretations.

It is probably less expensive to go with a straight pipe... unless your car is still subject to inspection.  Then it can get costly.

In my opinion, there is no performance to be gained from deleting the cat, especially a new one.

Is your current cat physically screwed up?

#3 Lacyjs9

Lacyjs9

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Mcleansville NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

"Better off" is a subjective term open to all sorts of interpretations.

It is probably less expensive to go with a straight pipe... unless your car is still subject to inspection.  Then it can get costly.

In my opinion, there is no performance to be gained from deleting the cat, especially a new one.

Is your current cat physically screwed up?

it sounds like something is bouncing around inside it. my concern is if i  delete the cat will i loose any power 

#4 The FNG

The FNG

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Goldendale, WA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Arou you sure it's not a loose heat shield?

#5 Lacyjs9

Lacyjs9

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Mcleansville NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

yes im sure its not a heat shield 

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Are you talking about the cat or the resonator? if its the resonator, just hollow it out

#7 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

if the concern is power, then its a neutral equation.  you wont gain or loose any significant power.  it could be an emission or inspection problem though.  my advice if its possible is to cut out the cat, and weld in 3 bolt flanges that fit a normal aftermarket cat.  then you can put flanges on a straight pipe and bolt it in.  you can add a cat back in later if needed, and use more modern ones and cheaper aftermarket ones.

if cheapest is best, pull it and hollow it out, then put it back in.

#8 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hollow it out so you pass visual inspection. As long as it looks like you have the cat, you are good. If you are set on haveing a good cat, I have a y pipe off of a 92 kickin around that i could let go of, and could take your old off your hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users