Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some advice on a possible 99 Forester Purchase

Hello all, 

Here's the story: I'm looking to buy my wife a new(er) subaru. Right now she's driving around my 87 GL, which is a pretty solid little car, but truth be told, I wish I was driving it :). So I came across this Forester on craigslist http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/3946313491.html and am intrigued. I am a fairly capable mechanic, and have done a couple transmission swaps before, but I don't have a transmission jack anymore. 

Do you guys think it's worth offering around $1000 and putting a new transmission? I am more familiar with the older gens and am not to0 informed about quirks of the newer gen models. Is this transmission known to fail in a certain way? Also, if my research is correct, this car has a SOHC? Which I'm told is preferred to the DOHC 2.5s. 

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Not a bad deal, nothing too special about those transmissions. You'll find it quite similar to the ones in your older soobs.

Some known issues with the 99s. They changed the way the center differential is built in 99 and there is a snap ring that can come loose and chew up the transfer gears and center diff support gears. It also lets the center diff fall apart.

The mainshaft bearings like to go out on the EJ transmissions in general. Lack of fluid changes I think is the general reason, but its also a large bearing which doesn't seem to get enough oil all the time. It's fairly easily replaceable but is labor intensive. Much easier to find a good low mile trans and just drop it in.

I'd go for it.

Yes that car has the SOHC heads which are much simpler. Also the bottom end was beefed up in 99. The head gaskets are prone to leak, but its an external leak rather than the combustion chamber leaks that the DOHC engines suffered.

Find out if the timing belt has ever been replaced. That's a bargaining chip because its a couple $$$ in parts.

Thanks for the reply Fairtax, all of the good information definitely helps in this decision! I was definitely planning on using that as a bargaining tool, timing belts and//or head gaskets. 

As far as finding a new transmission, are they exclusive to the forester only or are they shared between models? 

Thanks again

Same trans was used in the Forester Legacy and Impreza, just have to make sure you get one with the right final drive ratio. Forester manual should be 4.11.

They made some changes to the bell housing bolt pattern in 99 so you probably want to look for something around that year or a little newer. An earlier transmission will work as well but there were differences in the shift selector and clutch release lever, which can be swapped from one to the other, just takes a couple minutes.

Biggest thing is just make absolutely sure to match the final drive ratio or you'll end up with major problems.

yes Phase II SOHC EJ25's are much better han Phase I DOHC's.

99 EJ25's require Subaru coolant conditioner due to the headgasket issue (not true of the 98 DOHC EJ25 - conditioners don't help it because it's a different failure mode).  plan a coolant change and adding the conditioner if you can't verify it's ever been done. i'ts only $2 and change from Subaru if you can believe it. LOL

the 99 Forester EJ25 headgaskets leak externally so you can simply look under the engine and see if they're currently leaking or not.

99 Subaru's are notorious for speedometers not working. it's a one year issue (minus a couple bleed over late 98's or early 2000's).  If it's not the speed sensor then there's a simple soldering fix for the speedo head - really easy to do if you see the speedometer not working.  or swap odometers to a similar mileage used one, all very easy to do.

around mid to late 90's they also had cable and hydraulic clutch type transmissions but those bits can be swapped back and forth.  but you'll notice that diference if you start looking for trans.