Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Alternator or electric issue

alternator dashboard failure loss of power

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dharding2112

dharding2112

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ft. Collins Colorado

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was driving our 98 Subaru Outback when I first drove I noticed the rpm and speedometer needles were  going crazy. We entered the high way and the car started to run very rough, At this point the radio died, the RPM and speedometer stopped working, as well as the air conditioner. Before we could pull over the car was not long getting gas and the motor cut off. Once we were pulled over the car was very sluggish to start at first, would run for a few minutes before everything would start to give out and not work. After about three attempts to start the car it would no longer turn over. Just the starter clicking, The dealership ( FORD) we broke down in front of  told me it was an electrical issue and would be very expensive. I called a Subaru dealership and they said alternator, I can do the alternator myself. I just need some thoughts.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,497 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Probably the alternator. Charge the battery and have the charging system tested (most parts stores can do both).
That alternator can be bought remanufactured from Subaru for about $75.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,539 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Either battery or alternator is bad. Neither are expensive. If it were me, I would get the car home. Then, recharge the battery, also checking to see if the battery is full of water. Once charged up, you should be able to start the car, and If the dash needles still go crazy, then I would suspect a dead cell in the battery. I had that happen in a VW years back with crazy guage readings. If you can limp the car into an auto parts store, they will come out to the parking lot and test your charging system for free. Then, you will know for sure if it is battery or alternator. Also, recently my daughter reported her BMW developed crazy dashboard readings. She replaced the battery, and all was fixed. If your battery is old, then maybe best to replace the battery, or at least remove the battery, take to a car parts store, where they will test the battery at no charge to see if it is good or bad.

Btw, did you have any warning lights come on at the dashboard?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alternator, dashboard failure, loss of power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users