Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Composite HG with frankemotor (ej22e heads, ej25d block

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

So i have a forester engine for the ej25d block, and just got a set of phase 1 first gen legacy ej22e heads, dual ports. I also got a set of ej22e composite HG's.

I have alredy done a frankenmotor using he cometic hybrid MLS gaskets. Considering i have all the parts, but don't have the 200 bucks for cometics, soes anyone see a problem withusing the composite head gaskets on the ej25d block. I will be using the ej22e heads with their original head bolts. And i will also have to port match the water jacket.

Pros and cons? Opinions? (have i asked this before?

MY car has some farmer built straight pipe and won't pass emissions, and i have a catte mid pipe to use(with dual port header), but the engine in my car is single ports, and i could put a dual port engine together to swap in sooner than i can find a single port header.

Edited by MilesFox, 09 November 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#2 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

I think you should try them regardless of my own selfish curiosity whether or not the higher compression will cause them to fail?

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

I would try this for my own curiosity. You are welcome to the results if (when) i do.

I fi remember right, the rule to apply is use the gasket that goes to the head. I can see where this gets confused using MLS with phase 2 engines. Both the ej25d and the ej22e are open deck blocks. Now, do the phase 1 dohc engines in the overseas markets WRC era 90-95 use composite or MLS?

Edited by MilesFox, 09 November 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Also, I am supporting the idea of composite gasket considering the head bolts on ej22e are external allowing for re-torque without removing cams or valve covers.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would try this for my own curiosity. You are welcome to the results if (when) i do.

I fi remember right, the rule to apply is use the gasket that goes to the head. I can see where this gets confused using MLS with phase 2 engines. Both the ej25d and the ej22e are open deck blocks. Now, do the phase 1 dohc engines in the overseas markets WRC era 90-95 use composite or MLS?

NO you need a gasket for the block.  The fire ring on the 2.2 gasket will be too small for the larger 2.5 bore.

That's the problem....you need a gasket with water ports that match a 2.2 head, and a bore size to match the 2.5 block.

Or drill the gasket to match the 2.2 heads

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Ok, i see now. I failed to take that into consideration. Gasket matches the block, then. Too bad there isn't an aftermarket composite 2.5 gasket.

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,501 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I found an article pertaining to subaru HG failures, and in the article it states that the 1996 ej25d used the composite HG before switching to MLS in 97.

http://allwheeldrive...lems-explained/

#8 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yes, the '96 2.5 had a composite head gasket.

#9 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Just use '05 mls sti headgaskets. Works great with the ej22 heads on a ej25 block. No complaints from any of these I have done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users