Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high idle question

So my 93 ea82 high idle with sometimes be at 1500 rpm And others at 2500. Its been between 30° and -5° here in the last week. It conserns me on the fact not only in gas but I've never seen a car jump that high before, 2k is the highest I've ever seen and that was on a carbed dodge 318 that was set that high. I also do have the check engine light on,it has been on since I bought it(can find a place to check it for free or at all). Any ideas?

Well, as far as your higher number for idle, that's about right for when it's really cold out. This is assuming that your idle goes back to normal after the car has warmed up to operating temp, or you 'cheat' it by blipping the throttle before it's completely warm.

Check engine light you can check yourself via the light on the ecu under the steering wheel. Key in on position will give you a serious of flashes; if all is okay you'll get something like five quick flashes and then a long pause, repeated, which is just your car code. If there is a fault, you will get some other combination of long and short flashes, the long ones equaling the first digit of the code, the short ones the second (i.e. one long + three short = 13). It will also tell you if there is more than one fault code by alternating different combinations.