Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Difficult start when cold

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions. I have 92 legacy fwd automatic transmission with 197000 miles on it and when it's cold it has a great deal of difficulty starting. It'll make a couple clicking noises and then it'll turn over and start. Id imagine it would have something to do with the starter. Another question I had is if it is normal for you to be able to shift just by bumping the shifter. You can only do it when it's out of park but when I'm driving if I or anyone else hits it it will slide into a different gear or between two gears. Thanks for all your help

The contacts in the starter wear out with age and use. This is the most common issue with these starters and is the primary reason for the "click" a few times and then turn over.

Contacts are fairly cheap to replace, but there a couple different types and you need to remove the rear cover on the solenoid to see what kind you have.

Doesn't take long but some people prefer to just replace the whole starter. I'm weary of any aftermarket starter because I've had too much trouble with them. I'd rather put a set of contacts in and know that what I have will work.

For the shifter you can generally jump between Nuetral, drive, and 3rd or 2nd depending on which shifter you have, without pressing the button.

With the shifter in Park press the button to go to Reverse. From Reverse you can slip to Nuetral, then drive, then sometimes 3 or 2 (depending on which is directly past drive). Press the button to go to 2, then to go to 1.

With the shifter in 1 you can slip it into 2, then 3, then Drive, then Nuetral without pressing the button. To go to reverse press the button. To go to park press the button. The shift lock will prevent the shifter from slipping from Nuetral into Reverse unless you press the button.

Thanks I figured it was the contacts just wanted another opinion and thanks for letting me know about the shifter. Just one more question is it normal for it to only have a hard time when it's cold

Edited by HASx11

Well, I'm not expert but any car has more trouble when it's colder. Oil, coolant, gas all thicken up and make it harder to start. If you don't already have one installed try a block heater. Any small issue that may not be noticeable when it's warm would be magnified by the cold and all the things it does. If something with the contacts are loose and then it gets cold everything will shrink and may amplify the problem. Not sure if that really helps but my two cents.