Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 XT MPFI questions

Ok, got an XT, and before I tear into it tommorow, i thought I would ask a quick Q here.

My neighbor who I got it from said he drove it home from the accident, and it ran rough, but didnt leak anything. I find it amazing since the core support is nearly touching the cam cover.

I know the basics of EA82's, so im not sure what could have happened. Im thinking maybe the accident caused the belt to jump a tooth, or jarred the electronics for the MPFI.

Ill be home after work and hopefully the battery will be charged by then so i can maybe check for codes(anyone have a link on the codes, or how to put it in diagnostic mode) and what not.

Jay

on my 86 wagon, to check the codes you go to the computer, (under the steering column in my car) and disconnect the lil plug with two perpendicular leads and turn the key...look at the light on the computer and it will flash in a pattern...the codes are around here somewhere...do a search and you will find them.

eric

I got home today, put the charged battery in, and turned the key. Keep in mind the engine hasnt been started in atleast 4 months. I was amazed when it fired up as soon as I turned the key. Now the only problem is that it wont idle. It starts up and idles for 2 seconds then dies, unless I "goose it" :grin: like its a carbed engine. I havn't pulled codes yet, but Ill do that when i get home from work on thursday.

Any thoughts?