Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch lights don't work - 2000 Outback

Well, moving along to my next little problem I have no lights on the trunk lid on my 2000 Outback.  The parking lights to either side work as well as the brake lights and turn signals, but everything on the trunk lid doesn't.  Simple logic tells me a wiring break as all the fuses and bulbs are OK, unless there is a maverick relay to consider.

But I saw some posts by Subie techs that the column switch for the parking lights is the usual problem.  The parking lights turn on and off with this switch, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the hatch lights which would be the license light, some other tail lights, and the spoiler light and the light for the Subaru logo.

My question is where is the most likely place for the problem to be - in the wiring, a relay, or the column switch?

Thanks a lot for all the help.

The rear parking lights on the sides get their power from the same place as the rear finisher and tag lights.

If the problem is just the lifts in the lift-gate, its probably a break in the wiring where it hinges to go into the gate.

In the right rear fender area there are two fairly large (8 pin) connectors. The power and ground wires for the lift-gate lights pass through one of those connectors.

Power on a Black/Red or Brown/Red wire.

Ground is a black wire in the small 2 pin plug next to the larger ones.

Check at the bulbs for 12v. Check the ground wires for voltage too. If you have 12V on both wires its because the ground connection is bad.

Broken wire!!  A little solder and tape and we're ready to go. 

Apparently the "Subaru" logo on the back doesn't have a bulb of its own but gets some dim illunination from other tailights or the license light it appears.  It has more of a subdued glow to it.  I never had these lights working since I've had this car so finally getting all the pieces working.  Nice car and really appreciate having it with the winter here.

Just wondering if the pigtail that feeds the tailights on the the trunk lid may be available as a replacement part - if anyone would know or have one.

Thanks a lot

Edited by farmer

I'll give that a try , Cougar.  The interesting thing here is, considering the winters, and Subarus go with winters, you don't see many Subies in salvage yards.  I've ran across a couple of Foresters and one Outback wagon, but no Legacys or Imprezas.  I call around, but as a rule no one has any to speak of.

I mentioned that to one of the guys that handles a lot of those types of parts and he said you just don't see a lot of it in this area.  The weather here is Subie weather - not as bad as out East, but still we have winters that Subies show up in.  They are on the road and we have plenty of dealers in the metros.

People in the industry say the Subies either just don't wear ou,t or get rebuilt and put back on the road - a real credit to the vehicle.  I'll keep milking the miles out of my Outback and we'll see how the 2014 Forester my wife has holds up.  Hopefully the newer models are just as good.

Take care and thanks for all the help