Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sticky stick shift- 96 Outback Legacy

Shifter Stick shift

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Outbacker4214

Outbacker4214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Portland Oregon

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm doing some work on my subaru, fixing this and that.  One thing that has been bugging me about it is that the stick shift is not so smooth.  It is particularly stick in between 1st and 2nd gear.  That is to say, you can of need to force it into gear, or sort of use the magic touch.  Any ideas what could be wrong, or what I could do to fix it?

#2 Outbacker4214

Outbacker4214

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Portland Oregon

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Oh and to add... The other thing wrong with the shifter is that it is sort of "sloppy". It wiggles and jiggles a bit whether in gear or out of gear.

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,089 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

There are some bushings in the shifter linkage that wear out with age and cause it to flop around. They also tend to make it difficult to find the gears because it makes the shifter so sloppy.
That could be causing some of the stiffness going into gear.
There used to be a few write-up with pictures on how to replace the bushings, but it seems that most of them have disappeared or the pictures in them no longer work.
If you crawl under the car and find the shift linkage at the back of the trans, reach up and wiggle the shift rod around and you will see the play in the joint where the bushings are supposed to be.
Some of these you can disassemble the joint and replace the bushings, others the joint is rivited together and just has to be replaced.

Generally, difficult to get into gear is indicative of worn synchronizers in the transmission, of which 1st and 2nd gear cause the most trouble, or a problem with the clutch not releasing all the way. Knowing that you have the sloppy shifter problem though, I would start with replacing the bushings and to from there.

Another thing that can affect shift quality is gear oil level in the trans. Make sure it is at the proper level, and if it hasn't been changed in the last couple years it would be a good idea to change it.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

sounds like a combination of sloppy shifter bushings, and a loose clutch cable, or just worn pressure plate. My car is like this at 260,000 miles, and the clutch will slip in high gear at highway speeds if i force it. Shifting it is like rowing a boat and throwing ahot dog down a hall way.

In my case the sloppy bushing is on the shifter shaft, comes as a unit, and is secured by a roll pin, and is a 60 dollar preassembled part at the dealer, for which you cannot get individual bits for, and cannot service unless you drive out the roll pin and remove it from the trans.

Try double clutching techniques. First check the clutch cable adjustment as it has to be adjusted to compensate for clutch disc wear.

Edited by MilesFox, 13 February 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#5 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,857 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

-_-

Edited by heartless, 22 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users