Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 vs EA82 manual steering rack

I heard that the EA82 manual steering rack has the most force amplification of all of the all other steering racks of the era, IE 4 turns to lock vs 3.7 TTL. I was wondering if it is the same physical size as an EA81 steering rack?I'm going to move the control arm mounts inward and extend the arms to remove as much of the plunging from the front axles because toward the ends of travel the DOJ binds up and puts pressure on the outer CV.Then because the EA81 axles are shorter than the EA82 axles there is more strain due to the steeper angle which is why EA81 axles dont like suspension lifts.However,cycling the EA81 axle on a bench they have enough movement for 14.5" of suspension travel.

So that brings me back to the physical size of the steering rack,I can move the mounts inward a couple inches before they interfere with the EA81 steering rack while keeping the same ground clearance or I could move them inward and down negating the clearance issues with the steering rack but loosing ground clearance.

So is the EA82 manual steering rack the same physical size as a EA81 manual rack?