Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 and loyale questions

Im new to the forum and I know I could have searched to find answers to the majority of my questions but I am at work and I get terrible service. Hopefully somebody will be generous and answer these.

91 loyale wagon 4wd, 223,000 miles on engine. I will be doing head gaskets as well as all seals and gaskets.. Shocks, springs and all.

1. Do ea82 heads need machine work or rebuild or are they generally ok to use if they pass visual inspection?

2. What 5 speed fluid to use? I was told 75w90 but want confirmation.

3. Does and ea82 ac delete pulley or bracket for alt exist? AC does not work.

4. What is the best brand of axle to use? Adelco, duralast whatever.

5. Shifting catches thru the gears but I am low on trans fluid. Is that the cause?

6.Code 34 will not disappear even with a brand new solenoid. Normal?

I have many more questions but I feel pressured by the clock. Back to work! Oh yeah and any Oregon guys that know these vehicles well please chime in

1.) really depends on how much you fill like spending some guys do the gasket slap, others use sand paper and a flat surface to get to the right tolerances, i just get the heads pressure check since some leak and get them machined/rebuilt especially if they have cracks in between the valves (very common and if they don't leak run them). You can go to a machine shop and get their opinion too since a lot of the small shops are honest and want your business to come back.

2.)Thats right.

3.) Use a no ac alt. bracket.

4.) Factory rebooted if it isn't worn out.

simple head rebuild/check doesn't cost much at the machine shop.  Id at least have them surface the bottom so it mates well with the gasket.  

Id stay away from parts store axles.  once you get one that holds they do great, but sometimes you go through a few bad ones first.  rebooting them is best if you can catch them early enough.  I'm going to try some MWE axles in the next few weeks.  I have heard good things and at least I'm buying them direct from the rebuilder.