Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just installed an adjustable (19-20-21mm) ipd rear sway bar on my 2002 GT Wagon....WOW! What a difference! Boby lean is virtually gone. I love the way it drives now. Anyway...I have the old stock sway bar and was wondering how you properly measure the diameter? I cleaned the bar and put an open end wrench on it until I found the right one that would fit around it with out any gaps and it was a 14mm. Does this sound right to you guys?

Thanks.

I believe the stock Legacy rear sway bar is in fact 14 mm. Swapping in the Outback bar (18mm ?) seems to be a common upgrade.

I recently installed an ipd bar myself. The difference is amazing. Turn-in is a lot faster. The bar does an excellent job of lessening understeer.

Did you also install brackets and endlinks? I am very happy with this kit and would certainly recommend it. The kit for 95-99 Legacy ($279 shipped) is more than you pay for a bar from Cobb ($179 + S&H), but comes with brackets and endlinks (~$155) for a complete quality kit.

-Heikki

Strakes, if you have an isolated stretch of road near you with some curves and almost no traffic, take some time to learn the new handling characteristics of your car while pushing the limit of adhesion though the turns and easing off the throttle mid-turn (just be ready to quickly jump back on it to straighten out). With the bar set at the stiffest setting, your car will develop a distinct tail-out attitude midway though the manuever. It's better to re-adjust on your own terms rather that wait for a surprize emergency accident-avoidance situation and loose it. :eek::burnout:

Hey guys...thanks for all the responses. To answer some of your questions:

Heikki: I replaced the stock brackets and bushings with a new kit that had greasable bushings via zerk fittings. I got these new polyurethane bushings and brackets at the local autoparts store. They are made by "Energy Suspension". I kept the stock end links...I may upgrade that next. I got the bar from ipd at www.ipdusa.com ... they don't have it posted on their site yet. But I just called them up, talked to Chris Delano and he said they had a few in stock and shipped one to me.

Blitz: that's great advice. I have already "explored" the limits and have settled so far on the 20mm setting, giving me almost neutral handling at the limit, as long as, you're on the throttle. I may go to the 19mm if I upgrade to beefier endlinks. At the limit, I have noticed the back end likes to come out if you're not careful (even with the 14mm stock bar, I had that happen). It seems that with legacys that throttle=stability when near the limits. I love the lack of body lean...I love the ability to change lanes immediately...this car is a joy to drive.