Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 forester red top injectors in 90ej 2.2

machthree2

Went to salvage and got both rails and guy said these should fit. injectors that is Jethro. Well the O rings

on bottom are slightly tighter on ID and not as fat as the 90 injector. The rails are mounted different too, so had to switch 98 injector to original rail. seems ok but idle is a little rough. the newer injectors have a cone on bottom and look a little improved. 

will put the others in this week and report back. i put the 90 lower O rings on this second set because of Rail fit. hope they work.

otherwise, the car is running beautiful, and really has awesome power and as fun to drive as my old MG's

:)

Went to salvage and got both rails and guy said these should fit. injectors that is Jethro. Well the O rings

on bottom are slightly tighter on ID and not as fat as the 90 injector. The rails are mounted different too, so had to switch 98 injector to original rail. seems ok but idle is a little rough. the newer injectors have a cone on bottom and look a little improved. 

will put the others in this week and report back. i put the 90 lower O rings on this second set because of Rail fit. hope they work.

otherwise, the car is running beautiful, and really has awesome power and as fun to drive as my old MG's

:)

replaced 2 nd rail with 2 98  injectors and no change to system. 

just wanted consistency.the injectors went in tight (good) and i think the O rings will work. . 

One last problem is that it seams to run cold when started, and i need to check the "cranking voltage from starter again" 

Otherwise, off to the races.

Is your '90 motor from an auto or manual trans?  If I recall those had either white top or gray top injector depending on trans...  The red top were used from '92- and are pretty close in flow to the ones you have.  You could also put a '92 ECU in there, it's a different design internally but will plug in and will match the red tops.

so i am little confused. the donor car  was a 90 legacy with a newer motor? it had the red top injectors in it so it may be newer.

the injectors i put in have a conical tip where the ones removed where shorter and more open.

when starting cold the rpm's are down at 400 and hard keep running. Once warm, at 900 it runs fine. I'm going try going back to the original type injectors as a test.